Default Moving brother. Louisville to Utah. Need ideas!

Hi Folks,

I have this great (last?) chance to spend some quality alone time with my brother, Mark. He and his family are moving to Utah and I've volunteered to drive the van with him (wife and daughter are flying). We would like to take the long way and see a few things. Problem is, we leave on Sunday and I have no idea what 'must-stops' are out there.
    I'm aware that the direct route is about 1500 miles, but we are willing to tack several hundred miles to that if the stop/s sound good. Any ideas would greatly appreciated!! Camping is not out of the question.

Thanks for helping make our road trip memorable!!

Mike

Default Moving Vans and Camping....

Quote Originally Posted by sunland View Post
    He and his family are moving to Utah and I've volunteered to drive the van with him
    That does sound like a great opportunity to spend some quiet time with your brother. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Driving a moving van cross country is not very relaxing and I would recommend that you stick to a pretty much direct route to Utah. Because it will have valuable stuff inside, you really don't want to have it parked in public areas while you are off looking at sights.

How long a time span do you have? We will offer some tips and suggestions based on that length of time.

Mark

Default Moving brother. Louisville to Utah. Need ideas!

Hi Mark,

Thanks for responding! We have about three to four days to work with. I was kind of thinking that we could pick up route 66 around St Louis and generally follow that to Albuquerque and then head north. That didn't look hugely out of the way based on the map. Any thoughts on stops along the way? Would love to take in some americana kitsch (the goofier, the better), some desert... anything historical.

Thanks,
    Mike

Default Tucumcari

Tucumcari, NM, has some of the best left-over "kitsch" from Route 66. Watch for the infamous Blue Swallow Hotel.

Cline's Corners is in-between Tucumcari and Albuquerque. It's a Route 66 TTT (tacky tourist trap) but it's fun to stretch your legs there and check it out.

You will see a lot of billboards for various trading posts along I-40 so just stop and enjoy the ones that appeal to you.

And, of course, visit The Arch in St. Louis!

Default Moving my Brother.

Hi Judy,

When you say 'left-over' kitsch, what do yo mean? Vintage? Thanks for the input!

Would anybody else like to share their favorite stops along the route? Also, what are some not-to-miss stops in southern Utah?

Mike

Default Yes, vintage

This RTA page is dedicated to Route 66 and should give you lots of ideas. Probably more than you'll have time for. Enjoy!