Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default From Minneapolis to ???

I need a vacation. Badly. I need peace and quiet. Badly. I need countryside and stars. Badly.

I'm a country guy living in downtown Minneapolis and it's starting to take a toll on me. Do the stars even exist anymore? I've been here six years and haven't had a vacation the whole time. I'm overwhelmed by noise here and I need a break.

I want to plan a roadtrip. It will be just me. My vacation days are September 1-11. I could really use some experienced help here! I'm not too terribly fussy on where I go, but I want to see the countryside and stars again. I'll camp if there's somewhere magical to do it.

I need something special. Breathtaking. Gorgeous. Somewhere where I won't see or hear traffic or many people. I know that could be hard on a roadtrip, but I thought you folks might know of some places I could stop for a day and enjoy that might fit the bill. Peace and quiet, horseback riding, fishing, camping, hiking, lakes, mountains, rivers, wildlife, wind, etc., That's me in a nutshell. I enjoy living simply and don't care about the latest gadgets or must-haves.

Where do I want to go? Anywhere! I'll drive anywhere and back as long as I have two days to relax before I go back to work. In other words, I could be gone for as short as a weekend or as long as the 1st - 9th.

I'll be looking around this site and checking back. I'd be grateful for any suggestions, reminders, don't-forgets, avoid-these-things, etc., that you might be kind enough to offer. Look forward to hearing from you.

Default I think you need the Twenty-Hour Trip Immediately!

Quote Originally Posted by KeithMN View Post
    I need a vacation. Badly. I need peace and quiet. Badly. I need countryside and stars. Badly.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I think you ought to consider taking a two hour roadtrip tomorrow and book a 20-hour escape in a matter of days. The September trip can wait....
    I'll camp if there's somewhere magical to do it.
    It is were me, and I wanted to get away -- I would head for the South Dakotan badlands -- here is a field trip that addresses part of that.
    Peace and quiet, horseback riding, fishing, camping, hiking, lakes, mountains, rivers, wildlife, wind, etc., That's me in a nutshell. I enjoy living simply and don't care about the latest gadgets or must-haves.
    OK, fishing and mountains... -- I would go to Red Lake, Ontario Here are some ideas to get you started.

Mark

Default 6 years?

You're way overdue! I agree with Mark, go on some short trips and do it pronto! I'm not real familiar with Minnesota but isn't it the Land of 1000 Lakes? Surely there's a magical place to camp not too far from Minneapolis that would make a wonderful, and rejuvenating, weekend trip sometime soon!

I hope someone more familiar with your area can give you some specific places. I would think that anywhere in North Dakota would be peaceful and full of stars. Just a thought.

4. Default More information

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! I think you ought to consider taking a two hour roadtrip tomorrow and book a 20-hour escape in a matter of days. The September trip can wait....
    It is were me, and I wanted to get away -- I would head for the South Dakotan badlands -- here is a field trip that addresses part of that.
    OK, fishing and mountains... -- I would go to Red Lake, Ontario Here are some ideas to get you started.Mark
    Thanks for the welcome and the links. I put them in my Favorite Places because they were really helpful and eased a little stress just by reading them. It's great to have something to look forward to.

South Dakota seems to be the most suggested option. It's certainly a great option and ranks in the top three places for me. You see, I moved back to the states from Ireland in 2001. (Huge culture shock.) I was supposed to move to Washington state, in the country, but I was robbed at the airport in Ireland. They took my carry-on, which had all of my money hidden in a safe (disguised as a shaving cream can). I doubt they ever found it, but I ended up moving back to the states with only $20 to my name. I chose Minneapolis because I have friends here and thought if I were going to start life over from scratch, I might as well go where I know people.

I'm very well settled and on my feet. It took a lot of sacrifices but I'm not willing to put off a vacation anymore. Living in Ireland (and Europe), I didn't have a car. Didn't need one. So, I didn't buy a car when I moved the Minnesota either. I'll need to rent one for my trip.

My roadtrip idea was inspired a movie I recently watched called Elizabethtown. The main character has an amazing roadtrip planned for him and I knew at that moment, that that's what I needed to do. The character's roadtrip was a carefully planned, cross-country one complete with maps, tips, stops and music. I don't need to be that detailed but just renting a car and driving from place to place sounds like fun. Out of the way, places, of course.

Sorry for spelling out my life, but sometimes a few details to the pros can trigger something in them that makes them think of something they ordinarily might not have. If not, thanks again for your suggestions and links. They'll be seriously considered. Ontario, however, is out. My passport was stolen when I came back to the states. I reported it stolen and to reapply for it now, with that having happened, will require more time and grief than I want to go through right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy View Post
    You're way overdue! I agree with Mark, go on some short trips and do it pronto! I'm not real familiar with Minnesota but isn't it the Land of 1000 Lakes? Surely there's a magical place to camp not too far from Minneapolis that would make a wonderful, and rejuvenating, weekend trip sometime soon!

I hope someone more familiar with your area can give you some specific places. I would think that anywhere in North Dakota would be peaceful and full of stars. Just a thought.
    Thanks, Judy. It's comforting to know others can 'feel my pain!' Yes, Minnesota is the Land of 10,000 Lakes. More accurately, it's 11,836 at last count. Unfortunately, my need to get away requires that I actually leave the state. Minnesota is a beautiful place but I need to feel like I'm getting away, so leaving the state is necessary for me.

North Dakota? I'll never step foot there again. Two states I have no desire to ever go back to are North Dakota and Louisiana. I severly dislike both. South Dakota's a great option. Montana, too. I'd even consider moving to either of these two states if they weren't so close to North Dakota! (But that's another thread.)

I plan to get a little creative with this roadtrip. I've never really done life the ordinary or plain way. I'll definitely keep my plans posted here. Who knows, it might spark new ideas or inspire someone else. I'd like that.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-30-2007 at 09:33 AM. Reason: continuation of previous post

5. Default

Mark,

I just read Peter Thody's article about his roadtrip through South Dakota and you know, it sounds like a bit of what I'm looking for. I'd prefer forests and mountains to flat prairies though.

I'm now considering driving from Minneapolis, through South Dakota, and to Wyoming's Yellowstone. For an eight or nine day trip, this could work very well! This site has been instrumental. I can't thank you enough.

I'll have a lot of fun with planning the roadtrip, being mindful to leave plenty of room for spontaneity. What fun is a roadtrip fully planned out? It defeats the best part of its purpose!

Being a writer, I'll have a great time writing about the adventure, too. Thanks again.

Default Yellowstone would be great!

That should definitely give you the rejuvenation you need. I'm not clear why visiting other places in Minnesota won't work for you but, hey, it's your trip. We just spent 4 days at a campsite about 1.5 hours north of where we live and it's like being in another world. All my stress totally went while driving there and setting up camp. So, really, sometimes a close-by trip is all you need. However, after 6 years, I can understand why you might want to go farther. I'm also curious about your aversion to North Dakota. We do have a good neighbor policy that discourages general bashing of places but if you have something particular to share that might be helpful information for other travelers...like a particularly bad place to avoid...that is considered helpful information. I really enjoyed my visit to North Dakota so I'm curious.

Be aware that you will want to get reservations in right now. Things get booked there early. If you can't get lodging or a campsite inside the park, options to check out are Gardiner, MT, and West Yellowstone, ID. Cody, WY, is a bit far-off but it is an option if the other places are all booked. Cody is a fun place to stop on your trip anyway. Lots of Old West and Buffalo Bill stuff.

Don't forget to check out Devil's Tower in NE Wyoming. Very cool. If you're not familiar with it, it was the location used in Close Encounters of the Third Kind.

Is there anything else we can help you with? I hope you'll return after your trip and share about it with us. And I hope it gives you the break you need. (Man, 6 years...no vacation. I really can't imagine!)

Take care.

7. Default

Judy,

My aversion to ND has nothing to do with the state itself. It's purely personal and nothing would/should ever affect anyone's interest in the state. It's something that would only ever matter to me. Sorry, if I'm being cryptic about it but it's not something I enjoy talking about. Truth is, if it weren't for my grudge, I'd consider moving there to get away from all the hustle and bustle.

Thanks for the tips. I wouldn't have thought to make my reservations this early, so that's great advice. I have to do research now on where I want to stay there. Somewhere peaceful and quiet where I can go for a walk at night and see all the stars. Any suggestions? I don't want to do a lot of touristy things. Some touristy things are a must, but I want as much quiet as I can grab. I'll post as my plans progress and see if you, Mark, or anyone has any suggestions. I feel like I'm a newbie at traveling again.

You sure understand what I'm going through! Better than most around me, actually. I've lived all over the world and traveled a lot. So, for me to be in one place for six years, in the same apartment no less, and working one mile down the road, is more than I can bear. My life has basically consisted of a one mile stretch of road for six years. When you're used to having the world as your playground, this is incredibly difficult!

Default National Forests!

Its a shame that you've ruled out North Dakota, I had a few things I would suggest there.

I also had several Minnesota idea, but you've ruled them out, so I think North and East.

National Forests really can be a great place to get away from civilization. If you go the dispersed camping route, you can find a nice place where you can set up camp literally miles from anyone else. There are thousands of acres of National Forest land in Wisconsin and Northern Michigan.

I'd also suggest heading into Canada, and really go North. There are some wonderful areas north of Winnepeg that get relatively few tourists, and you would really be able to get away from others for some peace and quiet.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    Its a shame that you've ruled out North Dakota, I had a few things I would suggest there.

I also had several Minnesota idea, but you've ruled them out, so I think North and East.

National Forests really can be a great place to get away from civilization. If you go the dispersed camping route, you can find a nice place where you can set up camp literally miles from anyone else. There are thousands of acres of National Forest land in Wisconsin and Northern Michigan.

I'd also suggest heading into Canada, and really go North. There are some wonderful areas north of Winnepeg that get relatively few tourists, and you would really be able to get away from others for some peace and quiet.
    Thanks for the help, Michael. I hate ruling out any place at all, but unfortunately it's the case for me. Minnesota's been ruled out only because I've been in it for six, almost seven, years now. I want to get away.

Northern Michigan sounds very interesting. Getting lost in a national forrest for awhile sounds tempting. I would just like to be able to not only get away, but explore some interesting places, too. That's why Yellowstone makes an attractive possibility for me. Yes, I'll have tourists some of the time, but in those wide open areas of South Dakota and Wyoming, I should be able to have the best of both worlds.

I wouldn't rule out Northern Michigan though. I'd love to venture into Canada, but I don't want to chance not getting my passport in time. My last one was stolen (which I reported) so I don't know what the process is to reorder a new one. September is only three months away.

Default No Passport No Problem - Yet!

You don't need a passport until January. Until then any proof of citizenship, like a birth certificate, will work.

And there is usually still plenty of things to do inside and in the areas around a national forest. I spent my last Labor Day just exploring a small section of the UP, and there were plenty of things that I couldn't squeeze into just a 3 day trip.