My friends and I (4-6) are planning on taking a trip from Chicago to Yellowstone. We're most likely going to take a northern route so we can hit South Dakota and see Mount Rushmore. Some of the things we want to do on the road trip aside from Yellowstone and Mount Rushmore:
1. Checkout the Grand Tetons.
2. Camp out the entire trip (real camping, not parking lot camping), no motels/hotels if possible.
3. We would love to do some great hiking/mountain biking, maybe even some rafting if possible (non of us have experience rafting)
4. Stop at some side trip places along the way.
5. Checkout some old towns and what not’s.
What would you guys recommend seeing/doing at Yellowstone? There’s so much there to see and unfortunately it can get packed, so we would love to find some places that aren’t commonly visited.
We don't have a set amount of time to do this in, I assume it will be anywhere from 7-10 days. Also we don't have a concrete budget but it would be nice to keep the trip under $500 a person (possible with camping, in my opinion).
We don't want to take more then we need, especially food wise (having food spoil is such a downer) and we have a married couple so at minimum were going to have 2 tents. Any suggestions on a packing checklist would be great.
I'm excited to make this trip happen, and look forward to hearing your suggestions!