1. Default 14 day RV rental from Boston

Hello Everyone
    My family and I (2 adults 2 children ages 11 and 13) are flying into Boston in August. I have booked 3 nights stay in a Hotel in Boston and then we are renting a 22 feet RVfor 14 days. So far my route is as follows:

Day 1 Saco/Portland
    Day2/3 Bar Harbour
    Day 4 Woodstock
    Day 5 Twin Mountains
    Day 6/7 Quebec City
    Day 8 Montreal

After this I am not sure where to go, I would like to go to Toronto but I think this may be a long detour (I have already seen Niagara Falls on a previous holiday).

I thought I could go through New York state via Watkins Glen.

I would like to go to Six Flags near Springfield and Plymouth.

However I don't want to do too much travelling. Can anyone give me advice on scenic routes and whether Toronto would just be too far?

Default Is this a round-trip adventure?

Quote Originally Posted by RV-RoadTripper View Post
    I have booked 3 nights stay in a Hotel in Boston and then we are renting a 22 feet RVfor 14 days.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Is this a round trip (returning the RV to Boston)? I would also suggest you read this article and print the check list to take with you when you pick up your rental.
    Also this article about RV campgrounds.

Unless you have have a compelling reason to go to Quebec City and Montreal (both gorgeous cities in their own right) you might find this pace a little rushed. It usually takes 1-2 hours to get ready to go, in the morning when traveling by RV and the same amount to park each night. I would suggest cutting the route in half and really enjoying your time in the states.

Mark

Default Keep it short

Hi,

Sounds like a reasonable trip up through Montreal. Mark is right that RVing is a little more time consuming than one might think, what with finding campgrounds in the evening and getting up and going in the morning. But I've seen families that are very good at it, so that part is up to you.

From Montreal I'd head south - see more, drive less. If you have boys, stop at Fort Ticonderoga. I guarantee they will love it. The scenery through that whole area is very nice. That should give you time for Springfield and Plymouth (Plimoth Plantation, reenacting the Pilgrims of 1627, is one of the best living history museums anywhere. A must - see. And the Mayflower II is cool, too). Finally, another great living history experience is Old Sturbridge Village. Lots of things going on representing the early 1800s. They have special activites for kids.

Have a great time,

Craig Sheumaker
    co-author of the travel guide: America's Living History-The Early Years
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-01-2007 at 11:21 AM.

4. Default 14 day RV rental from Boston

Thanks For your replies, yes this is a round trip. I want to book the campsites in advance, but not sure what pitches to go for I know I need a 30amp hook up but am unsure what they mean by water and electric hookup and full hookup. The RV I am renting has no generator and I am not sure how this affects things. Any help is appreciated.

Default Hookup Terminology

Hi,

Campsites for RV's come in four flavors:

Full hookups - Electric, Water and Sewer (most private campgrounds)

Water and Electric - self explanatory (almost all private campgrounds, and some state and national parks)

Electric Only - also self explanatory (many state and national parks)

Dry Camping or Boondocking - no hookups of any kind

These days all electric is at least 30 amp. Only the big RVs with lots of appliances routinely ask for (and pay for) 50 amp.

Depending on your bathing habits, you may want sewer connections every night, or every other night. Alternatively, most campgrounds have dump stations where you can dump your tanks as you leave. The reason for full hookups instead of paying slightly less for Electric and Water only is that you can dump when you want, rather than having to wait behind one, two, or even three rigs that got there before you did in the morning.

Having no generator doesn't mean a lot since you'll likely have at least an electric hookup to recharge your coach battery/s. The only reason you might want a generator is if you plan to boondock regularly or plan to have meals in parking lots or scenic pullouts and want to run the microwave or the radio or TV extensively. Since your trip is in the northeast, you aren't likely to have many opportunities to boondock (much more common in the west where more public land is available, though overnighting in Wal-Mart parking lots is becoming more popular as campground prices go up).

Got more RV questions? Let me know.
    [Editor's Note: You can also read these articles for more tips and suggestions about RVing!]

Craig Sheumaker
    Co-author of the guidebook America's Living History-The Early Years
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-01-2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: added links for the appropriate RTA articles

6. Default 14 day Rv rental Boston

Thanks a lot for the advice and explanations.

I now feel confident about booking the campgrounds online. I have decided to go to Quebec City and Montreal and go for the safe option of KOA campgrounds as they appear to offer family friendly sites with all amenities.

Thanks again

Default KOA is the McDonalds of campgrounds

Quote Originally Posted by RV-RoadTripper View Post
    and go for the safe option of KOA campgrounds as they appear to offer family friendly sites with all amenities.
    KOA prides itself on making all of their member campgrounds as much alike as possible. There are much nicer campgrounds on your route. Get a directory and give yourself the option to make some other choices!

Mark
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 06-03-2007 at 02:20 PM. Reason: clarification of my point

Default McD=KOA?

Actually, that's a pretty good way to put it. But even McD's has its place. Sometimes a cheeseburger for a buck is just the right size meal at the right price. :-) That said...it all depends on what else is available. Sometimes it's the best option, sometimes not. So I would get their directory and keep them as an option but I also wouldn't limit myself to them.

9. Default But don't I need a pitch with electric hook up

Thanks, I have taken your advice and looked at what other campgrounds are available.
    I looked on the reserve America website, however most of the sites listed don't have hookups and I thought as my RV is 22 feet with no generator I would need an electric hookup at the least, is this right or can I get away with no hookup ( I don't think water will be a problem just electric?)

Default Look for other private campgrounds

Reserve America is limited to government-owned campgrounds. Few if these have many electrical hook-ups. You might look for other privately-owned, commercial campgrounds. This is where most of the sites with electric will be.

Don't sweat it if you mainly find KOAs. Really, they're not that bad for overnight stays. I wouldn't necessarily want to stay in one if I was just hanging out at the campground all day looking for a camping experience. But they're just fine for pit-stops, imho.

You might check some of the campground guides in the "Roadtrip Book" section. Look for the link in the top-right corner of the main page of this website. Or you might visit websites like Woodall's (just google it).

ETA: If there's a specific place where you need a good campground, list it here and maybe someone will have some suggestions.
    Last edited by PNW Judy; 06-03-2007 at 11:04 PM. Reason: added text