1. Default your opinions please on my road trip plan.

Hello,
    I just purchased the book (Road Trip USA) and I am trying to decide what routes to take I am starting from Worcester Ma and will end up in Seattle with a stop in NM. my question is out of the following options what route would you take if you could.

North-South
    1. Atlantic Coast, follows the Atlantic coast along many country roads
    2. Appalachian trail, follows the Appalachian Hiking trail from NH-GA

East-West
    1. The Oregon Trail, follows US-20 for the most part
    2. The Loneliest Road, follows US-50 and then link up with RT 66 in IL
    3. Southern Pacific, follows US-80 but looks like I would be 0n the interstate allot of the time.

South-North
    1. Border to Border, follows US-93 up to route 2 and over to Seattle on route 2.
    2. Pacific Coast, follows US-1 and 101 up the pacific coast to Seattle

I am leaning towards the Appalachian trail South to US-50 linking up with
    RT-66 in IL and across to NM and then on to San Diego via RT-66 and I-5 South and up US-1 to Seattle.

So if anyone has taken any of these routes and thinks one would be better over another please inform me.

I am not concerned about time or gas prices as this may be my last chance for some time to make this trip. I will be going solo as I have a family that will not drive off the interstate and likes to drive straight through on the shortest and fastest rout. I have done that four times this year as I am moving to Seattle and this is the last drive thatís needed and can't do another mile on the interstate. I am flying the family out the morning I start driving on 6/14/07

Seeking real America

Default Go with your gut

I am leaning towards the Appalachian trail South to US-50 linking up with RT-66 in IL and across to NM and then on to San Diego via RT-66 and I-5 South and up US-1 to Seattle.
    That looks like a great route right there. You'll experience the Mother Road, the Pacific Ocean, the Appalachian Mountains. In other words it's a good mixture of the various parts of the country except the Deep South and Gulf Coast.

Good luck and be sure to give us a report after it's all completed.

Laura

3. Default follow up question

I would like info from anyone who has traveled the US-50 route what is there to see and do along that route. both east and west of the miss. river. any parks, museums. also what would be a good avredge price for hotels I prefer the mom and pop places over the chains. also if anyone has a link to a desiel price web page that would be great.
    thanks,

Default Seeking "real" America

Quote Originally Posted by apowens View Post
    I just purchased the book (Road Trip USA) and I am trying to decide what routes to take I am starting from Worcester Ma and will end up in Seattle
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Jamie Jensen's book is an excellent choice for plotting routes, here are some more that we recommend.

I would actually suggest another route -- one, that I want to take one day -- that would be the Lincoln Highway. Here is some more info.

And... I really can't find any difference between places/people you will meet on US-50 or I-70 -- they are just roads, no more real than any other road in America.

Mark

5. Default Looking for historical sites

Hello again,
    In three weeks I take off on my road trip I have the route all set and I am in the stage of planning what I can see and do along the way. I am looking for suggestions to see along US-50 and up US-101 Historical, National Parks mostly but will welcome any ideas you guys and girls may have. I’m looking for some good things to check out along US-50 in WV, OH, IN, IL historical sites, natural wonders, anything out of the norm.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-29-2007 at 09:47 AM. Reason: continuation of previous post