Default West Coast Road Trip

Hi

I'm planning our third road trip and plan to fly into Seattle and home from LA. We would like to visit Vancouver for a couple of days. Are the local transport links good from Seattle to Vancouver? Also, what is the legalities and regulations of taking a hire car out of the US into Canada and back again?

Ian

Default I will be doing it in about four weeks

Quote Originally Posted by 4scotsgetlost View Post
    I'm planning our third road trip and plan to fly into Seattle and home from LA.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- it is really a nice roadtrip from Seattle to LA. How long do you have?
    Also, what is the legalities and regulations of taking a hire car out of the US into Canada and back again?
    It is possible that you might have a problem, not being a US citizen, but we have done it a few times -- one has to pay a surcharge, but otherwise no problems.

Mark

Default Might be worth a look

I just booked a car for the next installment of Chasing racecars around the US (TM) and the cheapest deal was with Airline Network but I was particularly impressed that their prices include super cover (ie no insurance excess if you break it!) and, from certain pickup depots, no one-way drop off charges and no surcharge on going into Canada or Mexico. Additionally, for a small charge (21 quid in my case) you get a free tank of gas and they'll cover all drivers over 25 on the insurance. They are only brokers and the terms may vary when they quote using different rental companies but it's worth a look.

Hi

We are planning a 23 day trip, including flights to and from Scotland.

Regarding the car hire - I don't always trust the information I get when booking the car here in the UK. I think they'll tell you anything just to get your money.

Ian

Default So... 18 days on the road?

6. Default Seattle/ Vancouver.. and beyond

I'd check the policy with whoever your rental agency is about taking a car across the border between Canada and the US. You never know...

For local transportation links you have several options.. First of all, its about 150 miles from Seattle to Vancouver via highway, and from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours drive -- depending upon traffic, including the border crossing traffic.

There's a train that runs a couple of times a day, but I don't have experience with it, other than being somewhat aware of it. You can get airport shuttle buses or vans that run the distance, or there even puddle hopper airplanes that shuttle between the airports in Seattle and Vancouver.

If there's a problem with the cross-border use of a rental car, one option would be to go to Bellingham (about 30 minutes south of the border, and about an hour north of Seattle) and check your car in at the Bellingham Airport, and take the local limo/ shuttle/ taxi from Bellingham Airport to Vancouver. I've done that in the past to catch an Alaskan Cruise which left from port of Vancouver. It's reasonably priced -- about $25 US per person one way from Bellingham to downtown Vancouver, but will take a couple of hours since they stop at several locations along the way. The reason I suggested the Bellingham Airport is I know they have representatives from at least several of the major US rental car chains, and there are several airlines which fly into the airport (Delta, Horizon/ Alaska, and now Skybus), which gives them some enough traffic to support the transportation links, including the Alaskan Ferry terminal.