Thread: 9 day road trip

1. Default 9 day road trip

Hi I'm new to this forum. 4 of us in convertibles will be going on a 9 day road trip from June 30th to July 9th, leaving from southern MN to Door county WI, Mackinaw island MI, Thunder Bay Ca, Duluth MN to back home.

Door County is my biggest not sure what to do there list. Will be staying in Bailey's Harbor. Any suggestions will sure help. Also the trip from Mackinaw island to Thunder Bay. Am I missing something 'cuase I don't see much from Saulte Ste Marie to Thunder Bay.

Thanks for any input

Open Air

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Wisconsin is "home" for murals and marvels

Quote Originally Posted by Open Air View Post
    Hi I'm new to this forum. 4 of us in convertibles will be going on a 9 day road trip from June 30th to July 9th, leaving from southern MN to Door county WI, Mackinaw island MI, Thunder Bay Ca, Duluth MN to back home.
    I don't know if you like roadside wonders, but there are hundreds of marvels in Wisconsin and Minnesota -- you can cruise the ones we have profiled here. Marvels and for Murals.

Sault Ste Marie and other ideas here

Green County, Wisconsin

Default What you're missing

Welcome to the RTA forum!

A lot of what makes Door County fun, is the small little towns and shops that cater to tourists. There's also several state parks with excellent hiking. The Door County website really breaks down all the things there are to do there.

There are also a ton of things to do along Lake Superior. If you were going around the southern end, You'd have the Apostle Islands and Pictured Rocks National Lakeshores to check out. You could also consider taking the Ferry out to Isle Royale.

However, it looks like you are going north, which is also a great trip. The drive itself might be worth it in and of itself, but there are also several parks along the path. Pukaskwa National Park is the biggest park along the way, but there are also several Provincial Parks, including Lake Superior and Sleeping Giant Parks. I believe there are also several mines and museums that could be explored during your trip.

4. Default

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at all you offered.

Open Air

Central California

Default Historic Sites

I assume you know about both Fort Mackinac and Colonial Michilimacinac, which is a fort as well. They interpret very different eras (Civil War and early French colonizatin, respectively, and have very different styles and stories to tell. We really enjoyed them both.

Also, further west in Fayette, MI is the preserved Fayette Historic Townsite sitting at the end of a very picturesque inlet. In the 1860s it was quite a village built around a blast furnace that produced pig iron, a low quality iron that is later processed to make wrought iron. By the way, do you know why it is called "pig iron"? I'll spare you the suspense - because when they open the furnace the molten iron runs out into a central channel dug in the dirt floor. Sticking straight out from either side of the central channel are several side channels (5 or 6 on each side). To folks back then they looked like piglets nursing off their mother. To us they looked more like limbs sticking straight out from the trunk of a tree, or side streets extending perpendicular to a main boulevard. But their idea was much cuter.

Still preserved are several homes, dormatories, meeting halls, a hotel and the furnace building. The signage is very good and very informative. Also, there is a dock where sailboats can spend the night, and a campground where landlubbers can do the same.

Craig Sheumaker

Co-author of America's Living History-The Early Years

6. Default

Thanks for the info RedCorral. We will be doing Fort Mackinac for sure. Interesting story on pig iron, I work in a foundry and use pig iron myself, but was unaware how it receive it's name.

Open Air