Speno99 Guest

Default Help!! Planning first ever road trip in the states from Washington DC to ??

Just found this site, and it looks great!

My wife and I are coming over from the UK in September for a month, and plan to spend that time driving around and taking in as much cultural and scenic diversity that we can, without embarking on some 300 mile a day marathon.

So far we think that we want to start in Washington DC and head on down throught the Smoky mountains and do a bit of camping, hiking etc. We then thought we would head into the south, but apart from Mempnis and Nasville are not really sure where to head to?

Could anyone give some ideas on a good route from say Chattanooga, either east, west or south? We could really do with a bit of "local" expertise on this!

Many thanks

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Overthinking

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

This is going to sound like a cop-out, but I wouldn't plan anything!

It sounds like you want to take a nice slow tour, exploring the south, and that's just what I'd do if I were in your shoes. I might start thinking about some general directions I want to head, including places like the Smoky mountains, and Memphis and Nashville, but otherwise, I would just go where the road leads. When you get to a town or a city that looks interesting, or when you just feel like stopping, pull off for the night and talk to the locals. I bet you could find a while variety of amazing, hidden little places by taking a go with the flow approach.