1. Default The Last Hurrah - NY To CA

Hey guys just found your great site and hopefully you can help me. Myself and three friends just graduated college and wanted to plan a memorable trip to see this great country before we enter the "real world." We would be leaving from NY and want to spend most of our trip out West. Specifically, we want to visit the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and spend the majority of the trip in California. We have about 25 days at our disposal. Would Route 66 be the best road to get out there? Also, can anyone recommend some interesting places to visit in along the way? Just out of college, we'd like some places geared towards our age group, but we also want to appreciate the finer points on the trip. (i.e. the Grand Canyon, Redwoods Forest or any national park) I'll probably use AAA's TripTik to map this out, but I need a few destinations to start with. Any advice about destinations or general road trip wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Default The Last Hurrah?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGraduate View Post
    Hey guys just found your great site and hopefully you can help me.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! For starters, it is a little hard for me to imagine viewing a road trip after graduation as "the last hurrah" -- since from my point of view, life doesn't even begin to get interesting until you hit 30 and it is only getting up to speed about the time you hit 50. I could imagine, maybe, speaking of a last hurrah if I was in my nineties, but I doubt it -- I have a friend who still takes solo road trips and she is 103.... But I digress. Congratulations on the graduation from college!
    Myself and three friends just graduated college
    A 25 day roadtrip with four people sounds a little daunting, so the first thing you ought to do is to take this quiz and see if the four of you are really road trip compatible.
    Specifically, we want to visit the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, and spend the majority of the trip in California. We have about 25 days at our disposal. Would Route 66 be the best road to get out there?
    Route 66 would not be my first choice -- it can be a little challenging to find the route and there are far more interesting highways between Chicago and San Francisco. But it does have the appeal of being the "Mother Road." Here are some resources that you might find helpful:

RoadTrip Advisor RoadDog's ongoing field reports about the highway:
    Guy Randall's site -- one of the very best for pre-planning purposes
    RTA's Route 66 Resource page.
    Also, can anyone recommend some interesting places to visit in along the way?
    Just about any place is chock-full of interesting attractions and people -- but it is hard to beat the Colorado Rockies and the national parks in Utah. I really like exploring the area known as the San Rafael Swell and here are couple of articles about that:
    Viewpoints along I-70
    Dirt Roads in the Swell

Here is an index to a list of threads that will provide you with literally hundreds of possible destinations in California, Nevada and Arizona. And here is some more information about using the AAA Trip planning programs

Happy Planning!

Mark