1. Default Ideas for road traveling from Los Angeles to Portland

Has anyone has taken a road trip with a rented vehicle from Los Angeles to Portand? With kids? We are planning to do this in July (actually want to return the car in Eugene, but Portland would do), but I am not of what companies in CA rent vehicles for this kind of trip. We are 2 adults, 1 teen, and one child.

Any other suggestions for this type of trip are welcome and appreciated!

Our Timeframe: 4 or 5 days, 3 or 4 nights. Camping, maybe. Independent hotels/motels preferred.

Our Likes: Outdoor activities/events, wildlife, small towns, pubs or family-owned restaurants, "funky" happenings (concerts, festivals, etc.), older kids activities (horseback riding, canoeing, rafting, etc.)

Our Dislikes: All-you-can-eat restaurants, fast food, places mobbed with tiny kids, theme parks, tourist traps!

Thanks!

Default All national brands will do it

Quote Originally Posted by ajackson View Post
    .. but I am not of what companies in CA rent vehicles for this kind of trip.
    Any of the national car rental firms will allow one-way drop-offs in these states. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum. Most, if not all, will have some one-way surcharges, but you can use our travel search engine to see what kind of prices you will be looking at.

Here are some tips and suggestions of places to check out:

Washington trip (yes, I know you will be south of here -- but there are still some good suggestions further down in the thread)
    Ideas in the Portland area
    A great thread: Redwoods to points north

When you reach Mendocino -- the vegetarian meals at The Ravens are extraordinary and in the Avenue of the Giants area, we really enjoyed Knights Restaurant

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the answer and suggestions.

Is 3 nights, 4 days enough time to go from LA to Eugene OR?

Default Can be

Thanks for the answer and suggestions.
    Is 3 nights, 4 days enough time to go from LA to Eugene OR?
    Sure, it depends entirely upon what else you stop and see. You could cover that distance in two days or two weeks....

Mark

Default Great trip ahead!

You've got quite a trip ahead. You'll have to pick-and-choose because there's way too much to do in just 4-5 days. The links you've been given so far give lots of good advice.

How are you getting out of Eugene? If you're flying home, you'll need to go to Portland.

Has anyone has taken a road trip with a rented vehicle from Los Angeles to Portand? With kids? We are planning to do this in July (actually want to return the car in Eugene, but Portland would do), but I am not of what companies in CA rent vehicles for this kind of trip. We are 2 adults, 1 teen, and one child.
    Any major car rental company like Hertz, Avis, Nationwide, National, Thrifty, etc. should be able to rent you an appropriate vehicle.

Our Likes: Outdoor activities/events, wildlife, small towns, pubs or family-owned restaurants, "funky" happenings (concerts, festivals, etc.), older kids activities (horseback riding, canoeing, rafting, etc.)
    Outdoor Activities/Events:
    * Hiking can be done most anywhere. Oregon is full of great parks with excellent hiking. The beaches provide great hiking, too. But my favorite places in Oregon would be near Crater Lake, in the McKenzie Pass area (east of Eugene), in the Columbia River Gorge, and around Mt. Hood.
    * Wildlife viewing: Your chances of seeing wildlife are good in all the hiking areas.
    * Rafting can be found in many areas. Great rafting places that I'm familiar with are in the Bend area (near Mt. Batchelor) and in the Rogue River area on the southern coast.
    * Wind-surfing: You didn't mention this but you might enjoy doing wind-surfing. The Columbia River Gorge is a world-class wind-surfing area. There are various places that rent equipment and give introductory lessons to do this. Many are based out of the town of Hood River (east of Portland).
    * Riding the Dunes: The Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area has some awesome dune riding. You can rent various vehicles to take out on the dunes yourself and/or do some wild rides as a group. It's a real hoot.
    * Small towns that I love:
    On the Coast: Bandon, Depoe Bay, Cannon Beach, Tillamook, and Manzanita. There are many other nice towns, too, but these tend to be my favorites.
    Inland: Ashland, Sisters, Pendleton, Hood River, The Dalles, Oregon City, Prairie City, Warm Springs, to name a few.

For "funky" happenings...well, just about anything in Eugene should qualify. They have a great open market at a downtown park with funky stuff to buy and see. Also Portland's Saturday Market that is open on Saturday and Sunday so I don't quite get the name. My favorite booth is the Spoonman booth. Cool stuff made out of old eating utensils. Very creative. If you like books, Powell's Books is one of the funkiest, unusual and biggest bookstores you can imagine.

Probably the biggest and best festival in Oregon is the Shakespeare Festival in Ashland. Truly amazing. The town itself is charming and the venues and production values are about as good as you'll see anywhere in the world. Definitely worth a stop to see, even if you don't see any plays.

You might enjoy the "drive-through zoo", the Wildlife Safari in Winston, OR.

If you like pubs, Portland is the right place to visit. It is said that they have more micro-breweries than any other city in the world. I don't know if that's true but here's an interesting article about it with links to information about beer festivals, etc. And here's a map of brew pups in Oregon. You might find one for just the Portland area with a google.

Our Dislikes: All-you-can-eat restaurants, fast food, places mobbed with tiny kids, theme parks, tourist traps!
    Then don't bother with one of my favorite places: The Oregon Vortex!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-29-2007 at 10:19 PM.

6. Default

Thanks Judy. Yes, we will fly out of Portland. Now to find good one-way fares, from Detroit ==> LAX and then Portland ==> Detroit.

I do think we will not go to the Oregon Vortex (!) -- we have a similar spot in Michigan in the Upper Peninsula -- The Mystery Spot. You have to go there at least once (which we have). It has been a U.P staple for so long!

Anne

Default Mystery....an overused word?

Yes, at the Oregon Vortex is also The House of Mystery. I guess once you've seen one mysterious place, you've seen them all. LOL

Enjoy!