Default Summer Road Trip from Northern CA to Chicago

Hi,
    I live in Mendocino County, California, but go to school in Chicago. I drove out to school last year and plan on doing so again. I live very near CA-20, and simply take this highway east until it hits 1-80 (and becomes less interesting). Last year, I stopped in Elko, Nevada; Rawlins, Wyoming; and York, Nebraska. I like the idea of stopping in small towns better than large cities because I like not having to get lost in big cities, and I like meeting people in the smaller towns. However, I don't eat fast food, and had a difficult time find places to eat along the way, particularly in Rawlins. I'm hoping that someone can recommend a better place for me to stay in Nevada, as well as interesting things to do along the way to break up the monotony of the trip. Any advice? I'm open to a different route, but I can't spare more than 4 or 5 days.
    Thanks,
    Cait

Default Digging Deeper

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I really can't believe that you had a hard time finding non-fast food places to eat anywhere. Almost every town in the country has some sort of restaurant, deli, bar and grill, or some other form of eatery. Sometimes you just have to dig a little bit to find them. (Just for fun, I did a search of Rawlins and found more than 20 restaurants, ranging from BBQ to Drive-Ins to cafes to truck stop diners to even Thai!)

As you mentioned, one of the advantages of small towns is the ability to meet people. Take advantage of that to ask questions about their town, and I'm sure you'd get plenty of recommendations about the places they enjoy.

That same approach should also help what you get beyond what you think is monotonous. If you have the approach that every field in the plains is the same, then that's what you'll find. But I can tell you, every mile of this country is just a little bit different from the last. If you start looking for those differences, you might discover your trip is a whole lot more interesting that you've noticed in the past.

Default It might be a stretch -- but what about Ely?

Quote Originally Posted by CaitK View Post
    I like the idea of stopping in small towns better than large cities because I like not having to get lost in big cities, and I like meeting people in the smaller towns.
    Ely, Nevada might be too far for your first night, but I can guarantee you that staying overnight at the Nevada Hotel will be an experience you never forget... Here is a field report from the area.

Mark

I actually said Rawlins by mistake ( I meant in Elko), but thanks for the heads up about all the restaurants. I did find a nice place to eat there, but it was a little tricky to find a place to stay because the county fair was being held that weekend.