1. Default quitting my job...CA to NC

So I'm tired of the 8-5grind in Southern California and I want to leave.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a massive road trip to the South....visit friends in Birmingham, Nashville, etc., then up to Boston. I don't know where I'll end up or how long it will take me. I would love to see the Grand Canyon and other beautiful scenic routes a long the way.

1. Is that crazy? How much money should I save?

2. I'm a 24yr old female... Do you guys think its safe for me to drive across the country? I'm fairly adventuresome and independent.

Help! I'd love your advice!

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by allisonb View Post
    I'm a 24yr old female... Do you guys think its safe for me to drive across the country? I'm fairly adventuresome and independent.

Here is a thread about that subject (solo roadtripping) - for the record, it is typically very safe to drive across the country.

Budget planning can be tricky, especially for an open-ended trip such as this one. You have to be able to answer a few questions:

Where will you be staying?
    What will you be eating?
    Do you have any family and/or friends along the way?
    Will you be solo for the length of the trip?

These are just a few to get you started.

We have some good tips on our planning page - dig around there, as well as a search of the forum, will net you many valuable tips.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-23-2007 at 05:31 PM. Reason: commentary

3. Default

Wow thanks for the quick response!

I will stay with friends, friends' friends, and friends' family as much as possible, and camp everywhere else. I'm planning on bringing a cooler and not eating out. I'll probably be solo until Nashville when hopefully a friend will meet with me.

What are the best prices you have gotten on renting a car? My other option is to fly to the South and rent a car there. I'm not sure if that would be the financially wiser decision.

4. Default

when are you planning on leaving? looks like we're sorta headed in the same direction from the west.

5. Default

hey wrecklessgirl,
    I'm planning on leaving sometime mid-July. I just need to save up a couple grand in order to leave with enough money to still pay my bills and GAS during the trip. Where are you planning on starting/going?