1. Default Tampa,FL to Omaha,NE

Hey guys.

I'm in need of some suggestions.

My friend and I plan on driving to Omaha from Tampa in June 2008. The only stop we have planned is at Bonnaroo, which is this music festival in Tennessee. We would really like to drive through some mountains, but we aren't very experienced drivers (both of us would have just turned sixteen by the time we plan on going on this trip), so we want to avoid the really treacherous mountain roads.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places to go between Florida and Tennessee, and Tennessee and Nebraska? We would be up for almost anything.

We are really big Saddle Creek fans, the record label that's home to bands like Bright Eyes and The Faint, and Omaha is where it's based. We've got a pretty good idea of things that we're going to do once we're in Omaha (go to a show at Sokol Underground and do a few other little things that would sound dumb to any ordinary person who isn't a Saddle Creek fan), but if you have any suggestions about other things to do in or around Nebraska, that would be great.

We know Omaha isn't the most scenic place, but my friend and I are definitely extremely excited about going.

Also, on a different note, my friend and I are young, like I said before. We would have just gotten our drivers licenses by June 2008. Right now, we both just turned 15 years old, and we're both girls. Reasonably, our parents aren't very enthusiastic about this trip. They are definitely all for individuality and freedom and chances to show our maturity, but they are really worried for our safety (which, even though I want to hate my mom for it, she does have a point - two teenage girls driving alone halfway across the country isn't exactly the safest excursion out there). Does anyone have any suggestions about what to tell my mom to convince her that we will be safe if we go on this trip? Also, does anyone have any tips about how to travel safer?

Thanks,
    Natalie

P.S. - Great website!

Default Omaha is a cool place!

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie says hello View Post
    My friend and I plan on driving to Omaha from Tampa in June 2008. The only stop we have planned is at Bonnaroo, which is this music festival in Tennessee.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! A year will give you some time to brush up on your driving skills and make some good plans for this adventure.
    Reasonably, our parents aren't very enthusiastic about this trip. They are definitely all for individuality and freedom and chances to show our maturity, but they are really worried for our safety (which, even though I want to hate my mom for it, she does have a point - two teenage girls driving alone halfway across the country isn't exactly the safest excursion out there). Does anyone have any suggestions about what to tell my mom to convince her that we will be safe if we go on this trip?
    Yes, print this article and discuss it with both set of parents.
    Also, does anyone have any tips about how to travel safer?
    Yes, here is an article with six, easy-to-follow tips to ensure a safe trip.

Mark

Default Gutsy Girls

Natalie (one of my favorite names),

Gotta ask, what do teenage girls like to do these days? I suspect that a lot of us are old enough to be your parents or grandparents, but I love your spunk!

How much time do you have? Assuming you have enough, were I you, I'd head to the east coast of Florida and head up to the Great Smokies. Beautiful mountains and hiking opportunities. If you like caves, Tuckaleechee caverns on the north side of the park, in Tennessee, are great. I don't know a lot about Tennesee, but I see Fall Creek Falls State Park half way between Knoxville and Nashville. I've seen pictures from there that look pretty good.

Since you are interested in music I suppose you should head on over to Memphis to see Graceland. Yes, Elvis was a couple of generations before your time, but I doubt if they will do anything like this with Sting's house, or Justin Timberlake's, or even Blake Lewis' (no matter how famous he gets).

Beale Street in Memphis is great for blues music, but the scene is pretty adult. You definately better be on your guard if you are there much past dinnertime.

The St. Louis Arch is really cool (isn't it amazing how that word "cool" has always been pretty hip and has kept its meaning for more than 50 years!). The ride to the top is very unique, as is the view (you can look straight down, and actually see back beneath you!) and for a little history, the museum of westward expansions under the arch is great! Dinner on a river boat on the Mississippi is fun, too.

The town of St. Charles, MO just west of St. Louis is a funky, quaint town with some fun shops and a nice historic feel (see if you like it better than Ybor City). There is a very nice outdoor restaurant there, if you have very nice outdoor weather.

I'm sure there is other fun stuff to do in St. Louis for your age group, but I don't have a clue.

If you drive from St. Louis to Kansas City try to time a lunch stop at Le Bourgeois restaurant at the Rocheport exit off of I-70 (about 2 hours from St. Louis). They have a winery there on the right side of the highway, which won't be of interest, but a little further down the road, past the winery, you'll see a sign to their restaurant. It sits on a high bluff overlooking the Missouri River. The food is very good and the view is wonderful.

If you are into shopping, and what teenage girl isn't, the Country Club Plaza in Kansas City is a must. (You'd never expect to see a place like this in Kansas City, but it is a town full of surprises). This a large shopping district stretching along 47th street between Broadway and Madison with great shops, restaurants, free parking, all in a very classy Spanish-style environment. You'd never know that this is the first shopping center in the US built 80 years ago!

After KC, other than the Jesse James house in St. Joeseph, MO, I can't think of much that would appeal to you, but I've been out of my teens for about 40 years.

Have a great time, and drive safely!!! (spoken like a parent - now a grandparent!!)

Craig

PS - Compliments on your writing and spelling. Most adults on the Internet don't do half as well. (I hope I didn't make any glaring errers;)
    Last edited by RedCorral; 05-24-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Grammar and spelling

4. Default

Mark, thanks for those links. The "Teenage Road Trip" article in particular helped me win over my mom. Thanks a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by RedCorral View Post
    Gotta ask, what do teenage girls like to do these days?
    Nothing exciting, really. I wish I had a great answer, like "We go bungee jumping every weekend!" but, unfortunately, I don't think I'll ever be that cool. I go to a lot of concerts and little local shows, or just hang out with some friends at a coffeehouse, a party, or the mall/movies.

And thank you SO much for those suggestions, Craig. I looked into St. Charles, and that seems like a great place for my friend and I. We definitely appreciate and love the culture-rich, kind of offbeat towns (like Ybor City, with it's great diamond-in-the-rough venues and cafes that we adore).

We will definitely have to make a stop in Graceland (who doesn't love Elvis?) and at the St. Louis Arch.

Thanks again!

Natalie

Default Omaha!

I've seen a few shows at Sokol Hall, and back in my music playing days, I even had a gig at the Saddle Creek Bar - although I have no idea if they are connected to the Record Label.

I'd also check out the Ranch Bowl, which is probably my favorite venue in Omaha.

If you take I-29 from Kansas City, I think you'd enjoy taking a quick tour through the Glore Psychiatric Museum in St. Joesph. Its twisted and amusing, all at the same time!

And if you are thinking about Camping during your stay in Omaha, I'd recommend Mahoney State Park, which is about halfway between Omaha and Lincoln, but right off I-80, so its a pretty easy commute.