Thread: car question

1. Default car question

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question. I plan to go on a road trip this summer. I plan to drive a 2000 dodge neon. The car is in great shape and has no problems. It has 83,000 miles on it. Would it be a great idea to drive this car cross country with the miles its has?

Default Don't worry about the miles

I've driven cars with 20k miles on the clock which were in far worse shape than those with 120k. There's no reason that a car should be unreliable just because it's been around the block a couple of times. If it's been well maintained it should run and run. I'd suggest that taking the car to a good mechanic for a service and a good check over is in order. Whilst you're there tell them what you plan on doing and listen to any advice that they may offer you. Maybe even ask them to supply you with a few spares for parts which might fail - radiator hoses, HT leads, etc. At the end of the day though, I'd not be worrying about those miles already driven, just looking forward to those ahead on your roadtrip. Have a great time!

3. Default

Thanks for the advice and the response. I just thought I check.

Central California

Default Condition..

is everything. If a mechanic says it is in good shape, then go, but be prepared. A good road service plan such as AAA (free maps and tourbooks, too) will make the unexpected much more tolerable. And don't forget the cell phone to call them from the side of the road.

Our motorhome was well maintained, and from all appearances in perfect condition. But the hoses were 7 years old, just like those on your Neon, and we blew one in the middle of Wyoming. The result was severe overheating, which happened amazingly fast. It cost us a new cylinder head, and a week in Casper (nice town), and a bunch of money.

I'm not saying that is likely to happen to you, but I do recommend getting 7 year old hoses checked, or even replaced as a precaution. Which reminds me, our Jeep is a 2000, too.

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Great car.
    If it's a stick shift, have the clutch inspected if it has some miles on it.