1. Default Missouri to Florida

I'm new to this forum, so forgive any mistakes please..
    We are planning a trip from SW Missouri to Winter Park FL. Moving our son, so we are pulling a large trailer, also traveling with two dogs...Trying to plan a "easy route", not allot of mountain roads. Any advice would be great. Going the end of June. Thanks

Default Low and Slow

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Taking a look at your general route, I don't see any serious mountains that you'll have to traverse, but there are a few things to take into consideration to make this an enjoyable, and relatively stress free, trip. The first is that you'll have to cover around 1100-1200 miles, depending on exactly where you start from (1120 from Springfield), so this is a drive that I might be tempted to try to make in two days if I were footloose and fancy-free. But pulling a heavy trailer and given the amount of non-Interstate driving involved, I'd definitely opt for three. The one problem you might have is crossing the Ozarks on US-63, but I had a look at it on a topographic (terrain) map and the highway generally follows the English and Spring River valleys down to Black Rock, AK where it emerges on to the Mississippi floodplain, so that really should not be too bad. So the route I'd recommend goes (from Springfield): US-60 east to Willow Springs, MO; US-63 south to Memphis, TN; US-78 east to Birmingham, AL; I-20 east to Atlanta, GA; I-75 south to Wildwood, FL; and Florida's Turnpike into Orlando and Winter Park.

AZBuck

Default The Other Option

I've given this a little more thought, due to the amount of off-Interstate driving involved in my first suggestion, and there is another alternative. You could continue on US-60 east across southern Missouri to join I-24 at Paducha, KY; follow I-24 to Chattanooga, TN; and use I-75 from there to Atlanta. From Atlanta, the rest of the drive would be as before. The advantage of this route is that it stays on the Interstates a bit more, which can sometimes be less stressful than 'surface streets' when pulling a load. The disadvantage is that it's about 60 miles longer. I think either route will serve your needs. I might give the edge to the first route, because it will make finding woods and parks for the dogs to run a bit easier, and you can travel at a slightly more relaxed pace. But in the end, it's your call.

AZBuck

4. Default

Thanks for the info. We also thought about taking 55 south to 10 and taking it across.Coming back we will still have the trailer, empty. I have never been down south at all. I'm from CA, and have made the trip from MO to CA a number of times. Would like to see some "different" country. Could go out one way and come back a different route. Want to enjoy as much as possible.

Thanks
    Kathy

Default Absolutely

I am a big proponent of taking different roads to and from a destination, for exactly the reasons you state. I'm not sure that I-55 and I-10 would be my choice in your case, however. It's a fair bit (about 150 miles) longer, and the countryside goes whizzing by too fast along the sides of Interstates. Now, you've already got two alternatives to between Missouri and the Atlanta are , so let's see if we can find another way between there and Winter Park. Try this. On the route that comes through Birmingham (the first one I suggested), rather than heading for Atlanta, go southeast out of Birmingham on I-65 to Montgomery, AL and then take US-231 down into the panhandle of Florida before picking up I-10. This will take you through the heart of the civil rights battleground and "Fried Green Tomatoes" country, and still save you 100 miles or so off the I-55/I-10 route.

AZBuck

6. Default

Okay, think we have decided on the "Fried Green Tomatoes" country tour. Now, how about some interesting sites to see and places to eat...The trip back we will not have any animals to worry about. We usually like to do things off the beaten path. We are fans of taking Rt 66 here in Missouri, trying little cafes, that kind of thing. Thanks

Kathy

7. Default Shack up inn, Clarksdale

Think we may try the Shack Up Inn, Clarksdale. Found the info on the forum....still looking for other ideas...

Kathy

Default Real vs Reel

Since the book, Fried Green Tomatoes, is a work of fiction, it is impossible to say where the real locations are, although the setting for the book is generally in the area that includes southern Alabama and Georgia. The reel (movie) locations are mostly in and around Juliette, GA just south of Atlanta, so it would definitely be worth a stop there if you are a fan of the movie. Otherwise, just keep your eyes, ears and nostrils open as you travel through the small towns. Be sure to 'inquire locally' as to where to find the best pulled pork barbecue. This is something of a regional speciality and the best 'restaurants' may only open a couple of days a week (typically the weekend), be in someone's home, and eschew all advertising - even a sign on the building.

Two other locations in southwest Georgia are worth mentioning, the first is one I only knew from newsreels, but really enjoyed when I finally got a chance to visit a few years ago. That is FDR's Little White House in Warm Springs. The place and the setting are timeless. The other location is one that I regret not having gotten to yet, and that is Andersonville

AZBuck