1. Default Advice on Traveling to the North East

My friend and I are planning a trip from Carolina to up North. I need suggestions on places to stop along the way and Routes to take. Thanks.

Tucson, AZ

Default A Little Info Would Be a Big Help

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Where in the Carolinas are you starting from?
    Where in the Northeast are you headed?
    When are you traveling?
    How much time do you have?
    What are your interests?
    What is your preference for road type(s)?

A blank slate is one thing, but no slate is another.

Last edited by AZBuck; 04-14-2007 at 04:13 PM.

3. Default

well, we are starting in charlotte and going as far up as there is time and places to see, maybe maine. we were thinking 2 weeks or a little less. i like history and i am a huge tourist loving all the popular sights. i would also like to see the pretty scenery. we will probably drive strait to new york city the first day so we are really looking for places beyond that.

Tucson, AZ

Default New England from the South

In that case, you might want to consider a number of alternative routes around New York City that are discussed in a series of posts starting here. Once in New England, there are a number of great scenic roads and historic venues, most of which are taken up in the threads linked to from this post. Two weeks is a great amount f time to poke around New England. There's history and scenery almost everywhere you turn. I had a look through the New England threads links to above, and all the best sites are listed and described therein.

5. Default around Boston (4 nights)

My friend and I are taking a trip to New York City then taking a bus to Boston on a Saturday afternoon and planning on flying out of Boston on a Tuesday afternoon in July. We would love to see the coast, Boston, and go to Maine. Any ideas on must sees, possible iteneray, and cheap hotels?? Thanks for you help.

Tucson, AZ

Default Plenty of Low Cost Attractions

I'm afraid I don't know any particularly cheap hotels or motels off the top of my head in Boston or along the Maine coast, But I can offer you a few cheap activities. The first is to walk the Freedom Trail in Boston. The walk itself, and most of the historic sites along it are free. You could easily spend an entire day seeing the best of Boston. The next day, I might take the ferry over to Provincetown and spend another day touring this outpost at the tip of Cape Cod. If you do those two things, you've already saved yourself the cost of a car rental for two days. With your final day (Monday), drive up the coast, stopping in a few of the following locations, depending on your interests and how far you care to drive: Salem; Cape Ann; Portsmouth, NH; and York, ME

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Watch Out for the Travel Circles

You need to use a lot of care if you get on a traffic circle or rotary. That was the most frightened I've ever been in my life.

Also, count on a lot of traffic. I'd probably look into some sort of a bus tour as your best way of getting around the city.