Default Anyone done a 1 - 2 year road trip across north america?

I wasnt sure where to put this thread, so mods feel free to move if needed.

I am planning a solo roadtrip that will start sometime in the next 1 1/2 - 3 years across the US and Canada. Has anyone else here done this? If so, please share you experiences with me! I'm looking for your thoughts of the overall experience. What was it like? What were the best/worst parts? What was it like being on the road for so long? If you went solo what was it like being alone for that long? I'm just looking to see what others have done and seen. Thanks!

Melanie

Default Outside Info

Welcome to the RTA forum!

I have not taken a solo trip of that magnitude, but I'm sure others have. Check out RTA's Solo Roadtrips Section, which includes a link to a journal from a woman who got out their on her own!

Default don't forget these

Check out some of these travelogues. They should have helpful information, too.

This website is a wonderful wealth of great information. However, it seems that most of our information is more geared toward those doing shorter trips. I'm wondering if you shouldn't spend some time at some websites geared to full-timer RV travelers. Even if you're not going in an RV, some of their advise would be helpful. You can find some links on our RV page here.

Default I did a 6.5 year trip (not entirely solo)

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
    I am planning a solo roadtrip that will start sometime in the next 1 1/2 - 3 years across the US and Canada. Has anyone else here done this?
    Megan and I lived and worked on the road for 6.5 year, here is some of our story.
    What was it like being on the road for so long?
    The most rewarding lesson I learned was two-fold: After a while, you realize that you are always Nowhere. (I spell that "Now-Here") and so you are always at home. The second thing is the road teaches you that you can only do one thing at a time -- it is very refreshing to discover that it is far more efficient to focus 100% on doing something and get away from the illusion of being able to multi-task. Here are some more simple lessons that the road taught us.

Here is a very good thread about solo roadtripping from a newbie and another one from more experienced folks.

Mark

Default How you going to travel?

Melanie,

Are you going to RV for this trip or take a car/van. If you haven't decided, there are lots options...from a camper van to a full sized RV. There are pros and cons of each, depending on your style.

Regardless how you plan to travel, here is a website of a fellow who lived solo on the road for several years. You probably won't want a rig like his, but his experiences and the stories he tells are priceless.

I think he has settled, finally, but I'm sure he would be happy to give advice if you contact him directly. He is a true roadtrip-afficianado.

Also, there is Loners on Wheels for solo campers And I think there is one just for women, too, but I can't find it right now.

My guess is that the experiences of people who travel as a couple would be quite different from those traveling solo so I'm reluctant to give you advice, unless you have specific questions or want specific recommendations.

Good for you for going for it.

Craig
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-22-2007 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format

Thanks for the replies! I've been reading through some of those links and they have been very helpful.

Craig - I'm going to be in an RV. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a small class C. Thanks for that link! I found a lot great info. and links on that site (Marks Fulltime RV resource).

Judy - thanks for that link! I had been looking for a site that focused on long-term trips but hadn't had much luck finding what I was looking for.
    Last edited by MelanieMC; 05-22-2007 at 06:35 PM.

Default AAA and Additional Coverage

Melanie,

You've probably heard it before, but it may bear repeating. For a trip/lifestyle you are planing, memberships in several organizations may be very useful for both information and economy.

AAA - for the free tourbooks and maps, but not RV insurance.

Good Sam Club - for roadside service, insurance and discounted campgrounds

Passport America, Coast to Coast, Thousand Trails, etc. - camping clubs for discounted campgrounds

Camping World President's Club - for roadside service, discounted RV supplies and parts.

Mark Nemeth probably has much of this on his website, but this may serve as a reminder.

Craig

Default RV resources

Quote Originally Posted by MelanieMC View Post
    I'm going to be in an RV. I'm pretty sure I'll be going with a small class C.
    RTA has quite a bit of expertise in the RV lifestyle world and you might find this page helpful as well. We publish a monthly column about RVing here and you probably ought to print this one out, because it raises a number of points about equipment that you might not think of.

Mark

9. Default

weve done it for six years we did good till we settled down (for the kids) now we are off again yay