1. Default New Hampshire to LA

Hey all,

I'm looking to find a way to move to the West Coast for 12 months without spending too much money... not sure if it's possible. I drive a 1994 Honda Civic, 2 door hatch back - and don't have much room in there to move all my things along with a driving companion. So... I looked into a uhaul trailer - but I am not sure my car can tow anything given how light it is (I saw previous thread on towing) -and then looked into getting a truck and towing my car - which seems super expensive in terms of rental plus gas - and so I am stuck between the options of selling or storing all my belongings, or... maybe finding someone to drive my car out to LA for me - I also looked at the driving website that was posted, and my car would be over 600 bucks...Of course my car is only worth 1,100 - so maybe I should just sell it and buy one when I get out there...hmmm that is actually an interesting idea.

Anyhoo - anyone have any good advice, or want to take a road trip with my car (I am happy to pay for gas!)

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Thinking simple

Welcome to the RTA forum!

From how I'm reading your question, you're planning on living in LA for a year? Is it safe to assume you're planning to return to New England at the end of that year?

I think your best bet will be to take only the things you need with you, and store everything else. If you think about how few things your really need, and think about what could easily be replaced in the short term, you could find away to fit all of your essentials into even a Honda Civic.

If you find you can't fit everything, then take a couple boxes to UPS or the Post Office and ship them that way. Just think basics or you'll end up with a mighty big bill.

Towing a trailer cross country with a 14 year old compact car isn't a good idea, and clearly spending hundreds of dollars to ship a car that's only worth a thousand doesn't make sense either.

Selling your car could end up making a lot of sense really. If your car is ready to make a cross country trip (you'll need a mechanic here) then I'd take the trip and enjoy it, but if you are going to need to spend a lot of money on repairs just to make the trip safely, you could be better off selling it and finding a new one once you arrive in LA.