1. Default Charlotte, NC to NH

What a great forum! I wish I'd found it sooner so I'd have more time to browse before the 'big day'. I'm hoping one of you seasoned travelers can help me out. We'll be traveling from NC to NH with 4 kids, the oldest is 6 years old. What we plan to do it make this a 2 day drive, leaving around 4am, driving for several hours and stopping for a long picnic or park visit, than driving another few hours to a hotel for the evening. This puts about 7 hours driving time each day so it shouldn't be too taxing on the kids. They are good travelers and I have lots of travel activities planned for them.

I'm looking for a site that will show me some great state park destinations and ultimatly our hotel stop for day 1, then another pit stop location for day 2. Until last night I thought we had to take our dog, so I hestiated to make plans, hoping we could make other arrangements for him. Now that we have, I don't have to consider leaving him in the truck during pit stops or finding a pet friendly hotel.

We intend to take rt. 77 to 81, from there we'll pick up rt. 88 in Binghamton and we'll decide whether or not to take the Mass pike or the hills of Vermont when we get there. We're familliar with this route and want to avoid the chaos of DC and 95 altogether.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

I-88 is a nice drive through some scenic country. Taking the Mass Pike doesn't make too much sense to me to get into NH, since it takes a significant dip South in Massachusetts. Plus, VT 9 is a nice drive anyway.

Your first day puts you at about Winchester, VA for the first stop. There are several places to stay in this area from what I recall. The park that comes to mind first for me is Shenandoah National Park.

One thing I do see, however, is that the trip is longer than 14 hours by the fastest route. Whereabouts in NH are you planning to get to (I based this time off of going to Manchester).

3. Default

We are heading a bit South of Manchester, practically on the Ma. border. I was considering the Shenandoah park as a stop, thanks so much for posting the link. I guess I always consider the Ma. pike because the hills of Vt (while beautiful) make my dog throw up! Also, I have familiy near Worcester that would be willing to feed us. Since the dog won't be with us, our hunger will be the main factor.

The trip generally takes 14 - 15 hours of driving. This will be our 2nd time, but before our travelling schedule was different because we had fewer kids to consider.

Default Okay that's clearer

Yes, 14-15 hours -of driving- sounds about right, but when we suggest a timeframe here, we almost always consider the time of the complete trip.

I think that anytime you have a chance to see friends or family you don't get to see a lot, take it. So, I can understand your wanting to take the Pike.

5. Default

We've decided to leave around 4am, drive to Shenandoah Caves (or one of the many caves in the area), spend a couple hours and push on to Wilkes Barre. That should put us in WB around 6/6:30 for the evening. This will put us in good shape for the last leg (thurs.), as it will seem shorter. We're looking at a 14 hour day total, but with 2 drivers it shouldn't be too bad.

I never found a site I could manipulate very well to get the route I want. Possibly I'm missing something simple, but all the sites want us to take rt. 95 and I've not been able to change it to suit our needs.

If anyone is familliar with the Wilkes Barre area and could recommend a good hotel, I'd really appreciate it.

This forum is so packed with advice and good information! I can't wait to use it for all our road trips. I grew up reading maps and taking road trips with my parents and can't wait to pass that along to my own kids.

Default I would recommend the new AAA site

Quote Originally Posted by jenwith4 View Post
    I never found a site I could manipulate very well to get the route I want. Possibly I'm missing something simple, but all the sites want us to take rt. 95 and I've not been able to change it to suit our needs.
    The new AAA online planner is not ideal, but in your case, I think it might work the best. Here is our review of the AAA program and some of the other ones we have tested and here are some comments about using the AAA trip planning program.
    If anyone is familliar with the Wilkes Barre area and could recommend a good hotel, I'd really appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, when I was in Wilkes-Barre I was staying a RV...
    This forum is so packed with advice and good information! I can't wait to use it for all our road trips. I grew up reading maps and taking road trips with my parents and can't wait to pass that along to my own kids.
    Thanks for that -- we look forward to your posts after the trip with current intel and ideas!

Mark