1. Default East Coast Trip, insurance info?

First off i'd like to say hi and thanks to everyone, I've been reading around on this forum for quite a while and have gained a great deal of knowledge.

My name's Pavel and I'm a Cypriot currently studying in Cambridge, England. My girlfriend is in VCU in virginia, and this summer we're planning to go on a 10 day road trip around the north-east USA. She'll be living in Jacksonville, NC this summer so that's where we're going to head out from.

It'll take place between 8th-18th of August, and we hope to go up the coast to Maine, then move westwards and on the way back south to pass by niagara falls and go back down to NC further inland. Still don't know where to stop or what to do so if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.
    It should work out to something like 3000 miles altogether which for 10 days seems doable.

I do have a question about car insurance though. She'll be buying her own car this summer (in virginia), and we're hoping to both be able to drive it on the trip. She'll be getting her own third party policy on it before I get there.

I found some document/report by some automotive/insurance bureau in Virginia that states that anyone with a valid driver's license can operate the vehicle with the owner's permission and will be covered by the owner's policy.
    Does that mean that if she insures it in VA, and is in the car with me and I drive (obviously with her permission lol) that I will be covered? Because on the VA DMV website it says that my full international license can be used in virginia for 6 or 12 months...

Thanks everyone, and I'm sure I'll have many more silly questions as time goes on! :)

Pavel

Default You should be... but double check

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I believe you would most likely be covered by her insurance. Since you will only be driving the car for a couple of weeks, she will be with you during the entire trip, and you don't live together, I don't think you would have to have your name added to the policy.

However, this question could really be better answered by her insurance company. Some companies may have different policies when it comes to drivers not named on a policy, and its much better to be on the safe side. Insurance agents are paid to answer these sort of questions, so make sure your girlfriend asks when she's shopping for insurance.

But like I said, I don't think it would be a problem. Even in the worst case sincerio, you'd just have to have your name added to her policy, which shouldn't be too big of a deal.

3. Default Any more comments on our trip?

Thanks for the reply, that's encouraging, and she'll check it over with her insurance company once she gets the car, but its good to know that its nothing complicated!

Right, here's the itinerary we hope to be able to do. Could anybody tell me how feasible this is? (btw, sorry for the tiny image size it says the attachment cant be bigger than 300x300?) Basically its setting off from Sneads Ferry NC, going west then north then east then down south from main along the coast.

We hope to do this in 10 and a half days, all sleeping will be camping. We're on a low budget so dont plan on spending a day at any specific place, so the 8 or so hours a day driving should be okay? (feel free to tell me i'm wrong here:) i figured that works out to 4 hours each on the road per day which isn't too much at all, especially since we can get about an hours sleep back on the road every day when the other is driving through some boring place.

We hope to go mountain biking twice somewhere in New England, to go kayaking or canoeing and moose spotting in maine, and perhaps doing some rock climbing or other new activity at another place. We would like to spend as much time as possible in a day in Acadia park in maine, and a few hours around Niagara Falls, and hopefully visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Is that reasonable in this amount of time?

The car will be something like a 2000 Corolla or ford focus so should be pretty good on gas i'd imagine (even if we have two bikes strapped to it). Is 1000 dollars + activity expenses a reasonable amount for this trip?

I figured would be a maximum of 450 for gas (4100 miles, 30mpg, 3.20 dollars a gallon?),
    200 for 10 days of camping, one of which we might spend over at a friends house so that would be free,
    200 on food and drink (we'd make our own from groceries),
    which leaves 150 as a 15% buffer for those expenses (unexpected campsite fees, dining out once or twice)

Any tips problems etc. with this trip i'd appreciate. We are new to this so are pretty flexible but I think I'm not being too optimistic about this trip so hopefully shouldnt have to cut it down too much.

We'd also like to drive along Kancamagus and see the top of Mt. Washington. And if its not too far off our path we'd like the NC-TN part of the trip to go along the Cherohala highway route.

Also we're now considering going north along the coast and then coming back the inland route, that way we'll get to maine quicker and see if we have time and/or are tired to do the long trip back or whether we'd just like to spend a few nights in Maine and return along a shorter route.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-20-2007 at 11:45 AM. Reason: continuation of previous post

Default These old eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Right, here's the itinerary we hope to be able to do. Could anybody tell me how feasible this is? (btw, sorry for the tiny image size it says the attachment cant be bigger than 300x300?) Basically its setting off from Sneads Ferry NC, going west then north then east then down south from main along the coast.
    My old eyes just can't see your route good enough to get a clear picture of where you're going. Others have attached route maps that are screen-size in the past so I believe you can, too. Why don't you try again with a bigger map?

I'm not familiar with that part of the country at all but, with a bigger map, maybe someone who is will chime in. I'll try to answer the questions I can.

When you talk about going 4100 miles (minimum) in 10 days, That could take about 77 hours to drive. Experienced road-trippers here figure that you can average 53mph east of the Mississippi River taking very short stops for fuel/food breaks. Some of the areas you're driving through are pretty congested with traffic so you might often find yourself traveling slower than that. This is 7.8 hours/day on the road. I'm trying to figure out how you'll have time to mountain-bike, kayak/canoe, rock-climb, etc.

To be clear, I don't think you're total miles are out of line for a 10-day trip if the trip is meant to be a road-trip that focuses on burning miles and seeing the sights along the way with quick stops here-and-there. But I think you might be pushing it if you want to spend some time on these types of outdoor activities.

I really hope someone with more intimate knowledge of this area will pop in here and give you more local intelligence on this.

The car will be something like a 2000 Corolla or ford focus so should be pretty good on gas i'd imagine (even if we have two bikes strapped to it). Is 1000 dollars + activity expenses a reasonable amount for this trip?
    I think this is kinda tight. Details below. But, then again, if you have extra money set-aside for the activities themselves, it might not be as tight as it was at first glance.

I figured would be a maximum of 450 for gas (4100 miles, 30mpg, 3.20 dollars a gallon?),
    Is the route itself 4100? If so, you need to add miles for getting on-and-off the route to eat, fuel-up, sleep, explore, etc. I usually try to budget from potential maximums instead of minimums. I'd rather have a buffer. I'd add at least 20% if not 25% more miles so let's round it up to about 5000 miles. Fuel prices are already increasing for the summer travel season but it looks like your guess on prices should be rather close to being accurate for that part of the country.

200 for 10 days of camping, one of which we might spend over at a friends house so that would be free,
    Have you included taxes in this? If the campground fee is $20, there will likely be extra taxes on top of that. I don't know the tax situation for the states you're visiting but you might want to check on that. If they all tax, this could add close to $20 to the budget. Probably not a budget-breaker, but good to be aware of.

200 on food and drink (we'd make our own from groceries),
    I think this is cutting it close. You've got a few physical activities planned that will up your appetite. And you may find yourself without time to prepare a decent meal when you're famished. And, once in awhile, it's just plain nice to check out local cuisine. I think this is do-able but too tight for comfort. I'd try to add $100 to this so you have more flexibility and variety.

which leaves 150 as a 15% buffer for those expenses (unexpected campsite fees, dining out once or twice)
    It's always good to have a buffer. There's also parking fees. And do any of the places you're visiting have entry fees? This should be adequate if you're careful with your spending but, again, it doesn't hurt to up this a bit. And do you have access to any funds, even if it ends up being on a credit card, for emergencies like car trouble, etc.?

5. Default

Thank you for such an indepth insight judy, that's really helpful.

I'm sorry about the map, but I'll try briefly summarise the trip here:

Set off from Sneads Ferry, NC (near jacksonville), and head north
    Pass virginia and DC as quickly as possible (been there plenty of times)
    Would like to drop by anapolis MD, and Wilmington, DE
    Then continue north, passing PA and NJ rather quickly, and passing through new york on the coast (we will be visiting NYC on a separate short trip so won't be staying there).

We only really would like to start lookin at places after that point, so that part of the trip would be pretty much drivethru unless something very interesting is worth seeing.

After that we'd like to continue north and we want to go to Providence, RI and Provincetown in Cape cod (luckily our trip would probably start early in the week so we'd get there on a weekday and avoid traffic). If we can get to that point in one day, somewhere in that region would be good for a first nights sleep.

After cape cod we'd like to go through boston, and massachusets (here we'd go off the interstate and use smaller roads since this is the part of the country which we'd like to explore), and continue up the coast to maine, particularly Saco, and on our way to Acadia.
    After acadia we plan on going northand slightly west (towards Rangeley) and then turning westwards and heading into NH, going through the white mountains and doing the Kancamagus highway, then proceeding through to Burlington, VT, and going south along the lake and then West through newyork across to the Lakes and to niagara falls, from which we'd head over to Cleveland, and then proceed Southeast towards Shennandoah National park in Virginia.
    From there we'd like to do skyline drive and blue ridge parkway south until Roanoke where we'd turn east to just go into West Virginia (town called Williamson) from where we'd head southwest (barely passing through Kentucky) and reach smoky mountain national park from where we'd like to get onto the Cherohala highway and head east into NC, and visit Asheville, and proceed from there back to Sneads ferry.

We're mostly looking, as you say, to drive by and see the country (my girlfriend has never really been anywhere, whereas I used to do lots of roadtrips with my parents when I was young), so the activities I suggested (biking etc.) would only be for a relaxing 2 or 3 hour trip twice on the journey. However if some very inviting town does pop up we're willing to improvise and then lets say reduce the extent of the remaining trip. We're fixed with the time window we have for the trip 8-18 august, but we're pretty flexible with the route, as long as we get to Acadia :)

4100 miles is pretty accurate I think since that follows pretty much the exact route that we'd be taking rather than an approximation between towns, but I can adjust that slightly if necessary (the 1000 dollar budget was a first calculation I'm sure it can be massaged, albeit slightly). However I think we'll be able to get over 30mpg on many stretches and I think we should be able to find fuel cheaper than for 3.20.

I wasn't aware of the camping taxes so I'll take that into consideration. I should also point out that we have pretty much all the equipment we need so none of the expenses would go to stuff like tents or lights or bikes etc.

With regards to food I'll add $100 to the estimate, but any dining out would really have been on top of the budget anyway. So now we're looking at something like $1250, that more reasonable?

We will have funds on credit cards if necessary (for emergencies), that's not an issue. That doesn't mean necessarily though that we can stretch the 1000-1200 dollar budget too far though (wouldn't it be nice? lol)

Thanks again for the information, I really appreciate all the help.

Pavel

Default Still can't help much with the route...sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    Thank you for such an indepth insight judy, that's really helpful.
    That's what we're here for!

'm sorry about the map, but I'll try briefly summarise the trip here:
    I've never driven this area so I'll still have to leave these questions for someone else to respond to. But it's good for you to give such a thorough summary so someone can respond to your specific route and concerns.

We're mostly looking, as you say, to drive by and see the country (my girlfriend has never really been anywhere, whereas I used to do lots of roadtrips with my parents when I was young), so the activities I suggested (biking etc.) would only be for a relaxing 2 or 3 hour trip twice on the journey. However if some very inviting town does pop up we're willing to improvise and then lets say reduce the extent of the remaining trip. We're fixed with the time window we have for the trip 8-18 august, but we're pretty flexible with the route, as long as we get to Acadia :)
    I'm happy to hear how flexible you are. That's the spirit! Many folks who come here tend to over-plan.

I wasn't aware of the camping taxes so I'll take that into consideration. I should also point out that we have pretty much all the equipment we need so none of the expenses would go to stuff like tents or lights or bikes etc.
    I doubt you'll run into any specific "camping taxes". I was referring to things like sales tax. Some states have it, some don't. And the amount can vary. I doubt you'll ever find anything higher than 8-9% so this isn't something to be concerned about. It just sounded like your budget was tight so I felt you should be aware of the potential extra expense.

With regards to food I'll add $100 to the estimate, but any dining out would really have been on top of the budget anyway. So now we're looking at something like $1250, that more reasonable?
    I think that would give you a little more wiggle room, yes.

We will have funds on credit cards if necessary (for emergencies), that's not an issue. That doesn't mean necessarily though that we can stretch the 1000-1200 dollar budget too far though (wouldn't it be nice? lol)
    And you probably won't need to use those credit cards for any emergencies but it's good to know it's there, isn't it?

Have a wonderful trip and I hope you get some route help!