1. Default cross country car insurance

hi all,

so I am driving massachusetts to LA in late june one-way; I am moving to CA. here's the problem. I am driving a car that is new to me - it is my sister's old car that I am buying from her.

now my trip is going to be somewhere from 10-14 days I'm guessing. I currently don't have a car so I don't have my own car insurance, and I don't want to register the car in my name until I get out to CA - I don't want to have to register in MA and then register in CA as well.

what is the best thing to do in this situation? see if I can get some one-off insurance? see if I can get added to my sister's policy (we're both in our 20s)? is there any difference if it's family?

also, my boyfriend will be driving the car as well, but I'm not sure what his insured deal is because he's on his parents' car insurance policy, since he borrows their car sometimes. if he is on an insurance policy, will he be insured for driving someone else's car?

thanks!

Default Talk to an insurance agent

Seriously....I don't think anybody here would want to be liable if we give you wrong advice on this issue and you have an accident. You might be able to be added to your sister's insurance and wait until California to get your own. And your boyfriend might be covered to drive other cars under his parent's insurance. But the best way to know the right answers is to call the agents and ask them.

Default Here is some more info

Quote Originally Posted by violet49 View Post
    what is the best thing to do in this situation? see if I can get some one-off insurance? see if I can get added to my sister's policy (we're both in our 20s)? is there any difference if it's family?
    Moderator Judy's advice is excellent -- here is a thread with more information about the types of insurance and how to get registered and insured when you are under 25 years old. Please read the entire thread!

Mark

4. Default

hi,

I'm not under 25, nor would I ever place liability on someone in an internet forum. Just looking for advice for people who have been in similar situations. Also, that thread is not entirely helpful - I've found that there is a lo0t of advice for foreign travelers on here re: insurance, but I am American. thanks.

Default It doesn't really matter if you are Icelandic or American....

Quote Originally Posted by violet49 View Post
    I'm not under 25,
    Sorry, my mistake I read
    ...sister's policy (we're both in our 20s)?
    as being in our early 20's.
    Also, that thread is not entirely helpful - I've found that there is a lo0t of advice for foreign travelers on here re: insurance, but I am American.
    Same advice applies. I think you need to re-read the thread -- there is no mention of the renter's nationality and, in fact, the information applies to anyone.

Good luck with your trip!

Mark

Default Take it with you!

Do you know what your new address in California will be?

If you do, I would just set up an insurance policy at that address. It would be easier if you were already out there so you could talk to an agent directly, but you could also get a policy with one of the big national companies like esurance, progressive, or gieco, and just set up your account to be at your new California address.

Your insurance company only cares about where the car will usually be stored and driven, not where it is licensed, so you should be able to have a California insurance policy and still be able to drive across country on the Mass plates.