Default Headed from VT to MT in June Solo

I am new to the site and everyone seems to have great insight and information.

I am about to embark on my first solo cross country trip. I am a 24 year old female. This will be my second big road trip. Last one was 2 summers ago and I took a 36 day 10,000 mile trip around the country. So driving alone is not a concern. (I did Portland to San Fran in a day alone down the 101)

I am leaving around June 10 and am flexible with how long it takes to get out near Kalispell, MT (next to Glacier National Park). I was thinking about going over to Chicago then up from there to hit Route 2 then take that across.

Does anyone have tips traveling in that area of the country or any sights to be sure to check out along the way. I would perfer to stay off big interstates as you don't get to see much.

Any info would be helpful. Thanks!
    Last edited by mskier01; 05-16-2007 at 10:49 AM.

Default I am headed there too

Quote Originally Posted by mskier01 View Post
    I am new to the site and everyone seems to have great insight and information.
    Well, thank you and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I am about to embark on my first solo cross country trip. I am a 24 year old female
    My column, this week on MSNBC looks at this apparent phenomenon -- in my experience, far more women are solo roadtrippers than men.
    This will be my second big road trip. Last one was 2 summers ago and I took a 36 day 10,000 mile trip around the country. So driving alone is not a concern. (I did Portland to San Fran in a day alone down the 101)
    Yep, you sound experienced.

Megan and I are flying to Great Falls, Montana the end of June (we have a wedding in Lethbridge, AB to attend) and will spend some time boning up on our Montana resources.

Here are some threads and other information you might find interesting:

First -- here is the guide book I use whenever I travel in Montana
    Good Info about US-212 in Montana
    North Carolina to Montana - 2500 miles!!! (field report with some good info)
    I always have been fascinated with Antler Gates -- here is one I shot in Loma, MT.
    Stop here, in Shelby for good western grub.

Anyway, this a start

Mark

Thanks for the tips!

Default MT Speeding Rumor

Not sure where the best place to put this thread. Mod feel free to move it.

I am about to Drive US Route 2 from MN to Northwestern MT as part of a longer road trip orginally from VT. I have heard a rumor that if you get pulled over for anything under 95 mph you can give the cop 2 twenties and go on your way. No paperwork is done and you are free to go.

Has anyone heard this before or have any experience with this. Like I said its a rumor I have heard. I don't know if I would be bold enough to pull this move myself, but wanted to know if it had any truth to it.

Thanks!

Default Perhaps in the past

I think there may have been something like that in place in the past, but I don't think that is the case anymore.

Montana had a reasonable and prudent speed law before the 55 mph speed limit was imposed/coerced nationally. I believe when those laws were put in place, it may have been possible to pay cash and then move on your way.

When those rules were lifted in the mid-90's, Montana briefly went back to a resonable and prudent law, but that only lasted a few years and it only applied to Freeways. I believe somewhere during that time, a much more typical speeding ticket system was introduced, and now you will get a ticket just like you would everywhere else in the US.

6. Default

I'm looking for demographics of road-trippers and noticed you said more women than men take single trips. Do you know where I could find any other data outlining roadtrip takers? Thanks.