Default From Chicago to Amarillo and Texas visit

Hello there!

First of all I have to say this is a great site – for your information I found the link on Johnny Jet website/travel blog.

My girlfriend and I are planning a 2/3 weeks roadtrip from Chicago to Texas.

Our masterplan would be :
    -pick up a rental car at O’Hare or Midway airport and follow the Route 66 to Amarillo
    -fly Amarillo to Forth Worth
    -rent a car in Forth Worth, visit Austin, San Antonio and see if we can make it to the Big Bend NP and head back to DFW.

Why DFW? Our flight back home departs from Dallas and we have to stick to that city (which is not too bad since we avoid a second, steep drop charge).

Some questions :
    -Is Hannibal, Missouri, worth a visit?
    -Our Lonely Planet guide says to avoid Tulsa (seems nothing special, but we could spend a night there just to recover). What about Oklahoma city, would you rather drive through or spend a day or two?
    -Texas : we would take the easiest route : I-35 from DFW to Austin and San Antonio, then the I-10 to Fort Stockton and drive down to the Big Bend.

Car wise:
    -our choices at rental agencies in Texas are : Toyota Camry, Pontiac G6, Pontiac Grand Prix or a TrailBlazer for additional $$$. Any suggestions ?

I hope I have not asked too many things!!!!!

Thank you!

Giovanni
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2007 at 12:32 PM. Reason: thread moved

Default Our thanks to Johnny Jet!

Quote Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
    First of all I have to say this is a great site – for your information I found the link on Johnny Jet website/travel blog.
    His site has been one I have read for a long time as well! Giovanni, Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Our masterplan would be :
    -pick up a rental car at O’Hare or Midway airport and follow the Route 66 to Amarillo
    It can be a little tricky to find Route 66 at times, but member RoadDog is an experienced Route 66 traveler who can share some of the tricks and this site is a superb resource for pre-planning purposes.
    -rent a car in Forth Worth, visit Austin, San Antonio and see if we can make it to the Big Bend NP and head back to DFW.
    How long will you have for this leg of the trip. Here is an excellent field report from this area.
    Some questions :
    -Is Hannibal, Missouri, worth a visit?
    I really enjoyed it -- lots of Mark Twain stuff there -- here is some more posts from the area.
    Car wise:-our choices at rental agencies in Texas are : Toyota Camry, Pontiac G6, Pontiac Grand Prix or a TrailBlazer for additional $$$. Any suggestions ?
    For the extra money, I wouldn't recommend the Trailblazer, the Camry is a very comfortable car for roadtripping!
    I hope I have not asked too many things!!!!!
    Not too likely around here.

Mark

Default Stop and Go

First of all, I spent a night in Tulsa during a roadtrip a couple years ago. I had a good time and didn't have any problems with the city. I'm curious why Lonely Planet would say to avoid it, seems a bit odd.

One question, why don't you just drive from Amarillo to Dallas/Fort Worth and then onto the rest of your Texas destinations? Renting two cars will probably be much more expensive, and when you factor in the time it will take to drop off one rental car, go through airport security, fly to DFW, and then rent another car, I suspect flying would actually take more time than just driving from Amarillo to Fort Worth.

4. Default

I would recommend Hannibal as a stop. Cool look to the place. The Riverboat was cheesy, but a nice way to spend an hour. A stronger recommendation for the Mark Twain Caves. While not as awe inspiring a natural resource as something like Carlsbad, the historical value boosts it up to the same enjoyment level as CC for me on my last trip.

Thank you all for the excellent links and advices! As we will spend 5 days in Chicago we'll have 14 days left, 1 week for the Chicago-Amarillo segment and 1 week for the Texas roadtrip. I know it's a short time but we'll try to make the best out of it.