1. Default 16 days (maybe more) for Tennessee to West Coast

Hi Everyone. Thanks to all for this forum's great insights and traveling info. I have fond 40-year-old memories of going WEST as a boy with my family in the ol' Plymouth station wagon. Now back to reality! (-:` My wife, 3 sons (14, 13 & 11) and myself are planning a "WEST" summer road trip leaving from west Tennessee. In no particular order, our basic wish list might include... Meteor Park AZ, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Four Corners, Death Valley, Hoover Dam, Sequoia, Yosemite, Readwoof, some Pacific Coast driving, Badlands on the way back? etc. Still researching so we are open to "can't miss" sights on our cross-county "tour". We have 16 days (even a few more if needed) to make our road trip. Looking for any and all advice/info/planners/can't miss sites for our road trip west and back. Thanks again!

Default Summer Roadtrips!

Quote Originally Posted by nwade View Post
    Thanks to all for this forum's great insights and traveling info.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I have fond 40-year-old memories of going WEST as a boy with my family in the ol' Plymouth station wagon
    I have fond memories of my own roadtrips in those same style stations wagons (but my memories are a little older...)
    In no particular order, our basic wish list might include... Meteor Park AZ, Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Four Corners, Death Valley, Hoover Dam, Sequoia, Yosemite, Readwoof, some Pacific Coast driving, Badlands on the way back? etc.
    You will be hard pressed to see and do everything in 16 days, but you will still have an incredible adventure. Here is some info on the national parks and, in particular, the Junior Ranger Passport Program

Here is a list of our favorite threads for west coast travels
    You might find this overview helpful for using the free online trip planners
    You will be crossing the Great River Road and Hannibal, Missouri (home of Mark Twain)
    Here are some tips for making budgeting decisions
    And here is a field report for the badlands of South Dakota

Be sure to always look at the bottom of the pages you view for more ideas.

Mark

Default Hello!

My family and I are taking the same trip this summer, except leaving from NC. We will be going through west TN though as I have family in Selmer. We also have about the same amount of time, but we are not planning to go to Yosemite. We would like to go to Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore instead. I have heard that this is not "doable" so we may have to cut it back a mile or two:) We are taking our 18 year old daughter and her boyfriend for their graduation trip! Hope you have a wonderful adventure!

4. Default Thanks Mark!

Appreciate the great links. Plan is to hit the major spots and attempt to use our time wisely. Making a list and culling to (hopefully) "the best". Yep, I recounted and it was actually 47 years ago (I was 6) that our family (six of us!) went cross-country. Slept in the station wagon, washed up in the gas station washrooms (most were clean then!), and ate a LOT of peanut butter sandwiches. Even had a canvas water bag hanging in front of the car's radiator. Just great memories! Mark, think of anything else, please post! Thanks again for your help!

5. Default Hello dholden!

Sounds like you have a great road trip ahead of you as well. We are also seriously considering Mt. Rushmore and Yellowstone not to mention Deadwood! I am giving my guys a "reality check" of just how BIG our country is. They want to see everything but just not enough time. You may want to check the library for THE MOST SCENIC DRIVES IN AMERICA 1997 READERS DIGEST. I bought mine on ebay for less than $10 including shipping. It's a big hardcover with 120 drives by area of the country with pretty darn good maps. LOTS of suggestions. Although 1997, still relevant with lots & lots of practical info. Enjoy your trip!!!

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Route 66

Definitely check out Route 66. It is almost always close to the interstate, so if you get behind because of all the interesting stuff to see, you can easily get back on to make up for lost time.

7. Default Thanks RoadDog!

Thanks for the reminder. Must admit Route 66 has crossed my mind more than once and I'm now adjusting my maps. Lots of great 66 links out on the web. Just looked at that Route 66 site again. Thanks again!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-21-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Preferred URL Format