1. Default Traveling from Columbus, OH to LA in August

We are relocating and decided to take a week or two to move and enjoy the road. To complicate things (I always tend to prefer this!) we will be traveling across country with our 2 little dogs. Makes it a little harder to just stop at motels on the side of the road. They are quiet and well behaved but I would rather not sneak them places.

After doing a simple search, I was thinking of taking 70 there. I haven't been to Colorado and would love to spend a few days there. Other than that if anyone has any advice or places to stop, that would be great.

I want to get out of the boring midwest and then make quite a few stops- already thinking Kansas City barbeque!

Thanks for any advice,
    Amanda

Default Most dogs are better guests than the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by ama0722 View Post
    We are relocating and decided to take a week or two to move and enjoy the road.
    Congratulations on the decision to relocate and Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Generally, I don't recommend turning a move (like this one) into a leisure roadtrip because of the extra stress and strain of traveling with your stuff... but it does afford one the chance to see things. I-70 is a very nice route -- you are going to love the Rockies and when you reach Utah, Arches and the San Rafael Swell are pretty darn great.
    To complicate things (I always tend to prefer this!) we will be traveling across country with our 2 little dogs.
    Just about all motels take traveling companions -- here are some tips!
    but I would rather not sneak them places.
    Yes, please don't do that!

Mark

3. Default

Mark,
    Thanks for the great tips. We aren't taking anything with us as we are shipping everything after we move. It is a stressful time but I was hoping this would kind of help us relax! If not, we could just zoom across country but I bet we will find some good stops along the way.

I was already thinking of taking 2 days off to one day of driving or so. Thanks for the great stop recommendations. I already thought the Arches would be one of them. I have only ever flown over the rockies so I planned on putting some hiking time for me and the dogs.

Amanda