Thread: RV sites

1. Default RV sites

Looking for RV camp sites Death Valley, Yosemite, Big Sur, San francisco and Napa California

Western/Central Massachusetts

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

That's a pretty vague question there - a quick search will definitely bring up information about those areas, but what is it that you're looking for? Perhaps if you filled in a bit more, we could offer more help.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default You need to use one of the campground guides

Quote Originally Posted by time together View Post
    Looking for RV camp sites Death Valley, Yosemite, Big Sur, San francisco and Napa California
    There are literally hundreds of choices here. I would start by reading this overview about RV campgrounds and then pick up one of these campground guides to help narrow your search to a more manageable level.

Central California

Default A few good choices

Our philosophy when it comes to National Parks is to stay in the park as much as possible. Staying outside, even if nearby, just isn't the same.

You'll probably have to go online to reserve in Yosemite Valley, and you'll have to do it well in advance. It may already be too late for this summer, though I've known people who took the chance that there would be a cancellation and were rewarded for their courage.

Furnace Creek in Death Valley is exactly that in the summer. We've stayed there and further north next to the sand dunes, both on the same trip. Less driving back and forth. The tour of Scotty's Castle is worth the time, as is the drive to the Racetrack, if you have high clearance/4-wheel drive.

I don't know that there are many choices in Napa Valley. Bothe-Napa Valley State Park is nice, but I don't know about length restrictions or hookups, these days. The last time we were there the poison oak was everywhere, so check ahead if you are susceptible.

As for San Francisco, our favorite big rig park is Pillar Point RV Park in El Granada, about 20 miles down the coast. It is right on the water. Our real favorite, though, is Half Moon Bay State Park, 3 miles further south. It, too is right on the ocean but has more atmosphere.

If you want to stay closer to the city, Trailer Villa in Redwood City, on the Bay, is one of only two choices. It was looking pretty tired last time we were there, but they should have finished their renovations by now so it could be much better. The other is also a big rig capable park in Pacifica called San Francisco RV Resort which is perched on a cliff overlooking the ocean.

All of these in the Bay Area are glorified parking lots, but their proximity to water makes them attractive, and expensive.

Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is good, and can take rigs of about any size. It is right across the road from the ocean and another state park (great for scenic hiking). There are a few private campgrounds further south, but I have no experience with them.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: added the link to the RTA field report about Racetrack Playa