1. Default Niagara, Boston, Cape Cod, Philly, Lancaster Co., PA

My family and I are planning a road trip from AR/MO area to Niagara Falls, Boston, Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard, Philly and Lancaster County, PA (approx 13 days).

Any suggestions on things to see from Missouri to Cleveland, Niagara to Boston, Philly to Paradise PA, Gettysburg to Springfield MO? We love small towns, unique shops, hometown cooking, antiques, nature/waterways/parks (nonhiking fam), rural roadways. Any suggestions at all would be very much apppreciated. Thanks!

Tucson, AZ

Default We Always Have Suggestions

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Between Missouri and Cleveland, the standard route would follow I-44, I-70 and I-71, but since you have a little extra time, you might want to consider a couple of other possibilities. One would be to head for Cape Girardeau and then follow the Ohio River Scenic Byway up to around Cincinnati before turning north. The other is to cross the Mississippi on I-155 from the bootheel and then head up through Tennessee and Kentucky with a stop at Mammoth Cave National Park and then come up through Ohio on the Amish Country Byway.

Possible routes and attractions between Niagara and Boston are discussed here, while scenic routes around New York (hardly a small town) are covered here. One final recommendation would be that you do a search on the web for the state park web site for each of the states you plan to spend some time in to find some lovely locations with easy walks.

3. Default

Thank you, AZ Buck, for your help. Suggestions much appreciated!

Central California

Default Historic Stops along the way.

Cappy, You've picked an itinerary that falls right into my trap. You didn't say anything about liking historic sites, but I have lots of suggestions (my wife and I have just written a book on the subject of living history and historic sites).

On that route, you could stop at:

Daniel Boone Homestead, Defiance, (St. Louis area) MO
    Conner Prairie (village), Fishers, (Indianapolis area) IN
    Sunwatch Indian Village, Dayton, OH
    Historic Kirtland (Mormon Village and Temple) Kirtland, OH
    Erie Maritime Museum, Erie, PA
    Old Fort Niagara, Niagara Falls, NY
    Fort Stanwix, Rome, NY
    Hancock Shaker Village, Pittsfield, MA
    Old Sturbridge Village, Sturbridge, MA
    There are so many in the Boston area I'll let you find them on your own.
    Adams National Historical Park (homes of John and John Qunicy Adams) Quincy, MA
    Plimoth Plantation (Pilgrim Village), Plymouth, MA
    Washington Crossing on both the PA and NJ side
    Old Barracks Museum, Trenton, NJ
    Again, Philly has so many things you can find them easily
    The Amish Village, Strasburg, PA
    Cornwall Iron Furnace, Cornwall, PA

And there are many more all along the way, but you get the idea. All of these places are interesting and most are peaceful and scenic.

Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-12-2007 at 09:01 PM.

Las Vegas, Nevada

Default Great Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by RedCorral View Post
    You didn't say anything about liking historic sites, but I have lots of suggestions
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Thanks for the great list of suggestions.

Washington state coast/Olympic Peninsula

Default Red Corral, I'm intrigued....

Could you share what book you wrote and a bit more of what it is about?

[Editor's Note: The name of the book is America's Living History -The Early Years and a temporary link is here (temporary until the publisher sends RTA a review copy)]
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-13-2007 at 06:57 PM. Reason: adde link info

In addition to the Cape & Martha's Vineyard, you might want to take a day trip to Nantucket. Lots to see & it sounds like it fits your interests. Our last trip is at 2005 Nantucket Trip. We will be going again this August.