Default North Texas to Los Angeles - Summer '08

Yeah, I know I've still got over a year, but that means that I just have plenty of time to plan everything down to a tee. The trip's purpose is to take my wife and our 2 boys to Disneyland.

My dream road trip is to drive up to Chicago and start at the beginning of Route 66 and follow as much of the old road as I can all the way to Santa Monica. I've followed the current Interstate routes between Chicago and OKC and have gotten off on the old road in a few places and seen a few of the sights, but not much. This trip will give me the chance to see some of the parts of Route 66 that I have the most interest in.

All of the big trips I've ever taken have been to the midwest and southeast parts of the country. I've never been farther west than Albuquerque, NM, but that was as a kid. I've never been farther west than White Sands and Alomogordo, NM that I actually have any real recollections of. I want this to be an awesome trip. We'll be sticking to the main roads for the most part, but I'm looking at a couple of detours to take in some of the sights. Most of the things I want to see will more-or-less just be pull over, hop out, snap some pictures, stare for a few minutes and then drive on sort of deals.

The route from here to LA will have us follow US 287 from here to Amarillo, TX. From there we'll follow I-40 to Barstow, CA where we take I-15 into the LA suburbs before grabbing a couple other highways to Anaheim.

My first detour will be to exit US 287 in Clarendon, TX and drive straight up 70 to I-40 where I'll pass through Groom, TX and check out the leaning water tower and the giant cross. From there we'll head on to Amarillo where I just HAVE to stop by the Cadillac Ranch. I really have nothing in particular in mind for New Mexico. I haven't yet really found anything to grab my interest. I wanted to check out the Meteor Crater in Arizona, but a friend said he had to pay $15 when he went. I just don't think I can justify, at least on this trip anyhow, spending $15 a head to look at a hole in the ground, so, reluctantly, I'll probably skip that. My plan is to make Flagstaff, AZ on for the first night. At 830 miles, that should be do-able.

I cannot allow myself to pass within an hour of one of the greatest natural wonders of the world without going to see it, so the next morning the plan is to drive up to the Grand Canyon and check it our for a bit. In California, I want to jump off and get on the old route from just west of Needles and drive down through Amboy so we can check out the craters, Roy's Cafe, and just generally see what it was like back then. From there, we'll head on out to Anaheim.

At least one afternoon/evening while we're in California, I want to drive over to Santa Monica and see the end of Route 66 and take in a Pacific Ocean sunset. I've seen the Gulf of Mexico, but I've never seen a true ocean before.

Somewhere along the way I want to stop by and look at one of the Wigwam Motels and I wouldn't mind finding some good cafes and whatnot for some good road grub.

I'm open to suggestions and ideas!!

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do with this trip. I wonder, though, how much time do you have to make this trip? What were you planning on for lodging - motels, camping? Why not actually stay in a wigwam if you can find one that's open?

I'd say that 830 miles in one day is really stretching it - you're looking at 14 1/2 hours to make that distance, accounting for rest stops, etc. Allowing yourself an extra day to make this distance will put you far along the road to a much more relaxing trip, since even if you are all set with doing that much time in the car, the other passengers may not share your view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Tim View Post
    Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea of what you want to do with this trip. I wonder, though, how much time do you have to make this trip? What were you planning on for lodging - motels, camping? Why not actually stay in a wigwam if you can find one that's open?
    We're probably looking at 10-12 days for the trip. At least 4 of those will be at Disney, most likely. My wife is rather picky about lodging. I don't think she'd go for a teepee. LOL My parents are members of an RV/Resort club. With their membership, they have access to a lot of nice hotels all over the country for $49/night. I found one in Flagstaff and I found one 2 blocks from Disney in Anaheim.

I'd say that 830 miles in one day is really stretching it - you're looking at 14 1/2 hours to make that distance, accounting for rest stops, etc. Allowing yourself an extra day to make this distance will put you far along the road to a much more relaxing trip, since even if you are all set with doing that much time in the car, the other passengers may not share your view.
    I'm not beyond slowing down the drive out a bit and making it 3 days. That's why having over a year to plan is good, but 830 miles in a day is very possible for us. We've made an 1,100 mile trip in 16 hours before and that would have been even less had we not sat in construction for 2 hours in Missouri. But, who knows. Plenty of time to figure it out.

Mostly I'm looking for some good, interesting Route 66 sights and eateries along the way or anything else.

Default We've got what you need!

This website has an entire section devoted to Route 66. I'm sure you'll find the answers you need here. Also do a search (see the green bar above) for Route 66 and you'll find tons of threads here with good advice.

Remember that a single long day is quite different than driving a string of long days. The drivers and kids might survive one long day just fine. But when you string a few together, people can get tired and cranky. You know your family better than I, but you should consider this. You don't want everybody to be exhausted before you even get to Disneyland!