1. Default My First Roadtrip

I am planning my first cross country trip. I have never driven out of state before and am looking for any advice or tips anyone could give me. My biggest problem is that my money budget is very low. I lost my job a month ago and this trip has been planned for three years. It is not a vacation, but a necessity and it is not something I can put off. COnsidering my income problems, I am needing to get an exact figure as possible on how muich I will need for expences. The two things I am having trouble figuring out are gas money and food money. My trip will last 6 days, leaving out on the 5th of June and returning on the 10th my traveling will be done in one days time, and the time ion between my arrival and departure dates will be spent at my destination. Can anyone help me? I am unsure what I need to do to calculate my gas and food expences.

Default We have some ideas for you

Quote Originally Posted by th3underdog View Post
    I am planning my first cross country trip. I have never driven out of state before and am looking for any advice or tips anyone could giveme.
    The first time is always special! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    My biggest problem is that my money budget is very low. I lost my job a month ago and this trip has been planned for three years.
    Sorry to hear that! Sometimes, road trips are just the thing to get you started on the next phase of life. Here is some info about how to budget for such an adventure. Here is a tool that enables you to calculate your fuel costs and here is an article I wrote about saving money on spring road trips -- but they apply to all trips.
    I am needing to get an exact figure as possible
    Rule of thumb is that road trips require $100 to $160 per day per person -- but there are ways to cut this to about half and I listed some of those ideas in that article.

Have an adventure!

Mark

3. Default have access to emergency cash

I've made many a cross country trip in my day. From Seattle to Texas to Indiana to NC to SoCal and Vegas, through the SW, the NW, the SE and up the middle a few times. No, I'm not a trucker, either, just used to be broke, too.

Anyway, the number one piece of advice I have for you - have access to some emergency cash whether that be a credit card or somebody who will positively wire you money or something. You do not want to be stuck in a strange town with no money and no homies. I can recall three indicents where I needed more cash than I had, once resulted in sleeping in my car for 5 days, another was 3 days in Butte, MT, and the other one, well, that was the real nightmare.

Beyond that, carry a little extra food and a decent amount of water, flashlight, a few tools, jumper cables, fix a flat, and have fun.

Default Cash is always a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    I've made many a cross country trip in my day. From Seattle to Texas to Indiana to NC to SoCal and Vegas, through the SW, the NW, the SE and up the middle a few times.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    Anyway, the number one piece of advice I have for you - have access to some emergency cash whether that be a credit card or somebody who will positively wire you money or something.
    We always carry some cash hidden somewhere in the vehicle in case odd things arise.
    ....and the other one, well, that was the real nightmare.
    That sounds like the making of a good story? Perhaps, you might wish to post it on the Memorable Break-downs section?
    Beyond that, carry a little extra food and a decent amount of water, flashlight, a few tools, jumper cables, fix a flat, and have fun.
    We have a few things like that listed here too!

Thanks for the ideas!

Mark

Default Whoa...this can't be done!

My trip will last 6 days, leaving out on the 5th of June and returning on the 10th my traveling will be done in one days time, and the time ion between my arrival and departure dates will be spent at my destination.
    If I'm reading you right, you are going to drive across country in one day. Can't be done. That is if you're really driving all the way across the country. For example, Boston to San Francisco is 3100 miles and would take a good 55 hours or so to drive.

I hope when you say cross-country, you mean something shorter.

Default I missed that too, (I think)

The minimum time you can drive this distance by yourself is five days!

Mark