1. Default Boston to Los Angeles Road Trip

California here we come!

My daughter & I are planning a trip at the end of August from Boston to LA. We need to make the trip as quickly as possible but we would love to see a couple of sights, mainly near the Grand Canyon.

We have driven the northern & southern routes from Boston to Tulsa many times, but have never been farther West.

We hope to make this trip in 5-6 days. Is that feasible? What routes would you suggest? Any must sees?

Thank you! I'm so happy to have found this site!!

Default Five Days is the minimum

Quote Originally Posted by Marmy View Post
    California here we come!
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Five days is the minimum of what we recommend. It is possible to do it faster, I have done it in less than three, but you must drive non-stop (with 2-3 experienced drivers).
    My daughter & I are planning a trip at the end of August from Boston to LA. We need to make the trip as quickly as possible but we would love to see a couple of sights, mainly near the Grand Canyon.
    The fastest route is I-70 across the Colorado Rockies, but you can take the turnpike south from Kansas City to I-40 and stay overnight at either Flagstaff or Williams to see the Canyon on your way west.

There are several places suggested on this Forum for wayside attractions -- the search (up in the green navigation bar) is a good way to start and also be sure to look at the bottom of this page.

Mark

3. Default Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I'll spend some time checking your recommendations!

4. Default

Mark, I have to disagree with you on what you said about I 70 being the fastest through Colorado. It's actually quite the opposite. Avoid Colorado if you can because of the risk of bad weather (they still have snow in the rockies in mid May) and because the road is just winding and you will not be able to go fast through a road that winds for 250 miles straight. The best route for you from Boston to Los Angeles would be to get on I 90 W to Cleveland, then in Cleveland get on I 71 S to Columbus, OH. There, get on I 70 W to St. Louis, then take I 44 W to I 40 W, and take 40 all the way into California. Then get on I 15 S to take you to Los Angeles.

Default And how many times have you driven it in the winter?

I've done both routes a dozen times in the winter months. Any storm affecting the Rockies is likely to be bestowing ice and snow along I-40 as well. I would much rather have the Colorado snow removal team on the task than the Texan highway department.

Just about everyone professional driver I know would choose I-80, over I-40 but I have found that I-70 tends to be the fastest overall. Just my experience.

Mark