1. Default Need input for Monument Valley - Joshua Tree NP Leg

As part of a 4 week "classic" southwestern circle (LA - SF - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Joshua Tree - San Diego - LA) summer trip (Mid-june to mid-july), I'm needing some inspiration for the Monument Valley - Joshua Tree National Park leg.

We are planning on leaving Flagstaff/Sedona/Williams early in the morning, spending the day at the Grand Canyon before heading northeast towards Monument Valley. I expect to overnight in Kayenta, AZ before going into the valley the following morning. We are just driving through and stopping to take pictures so I don't expect our visit to the valley to take more than 3-4 hours.

Say we'd want to leave Monument Valley at 1pm having a day and a half to get to Twentynine Palms. What route should I take? Where should we overnight? I wouldn't mind driving down through the Reservation and seeing the Petrified Forest NP and possible staying on the Reservation. Or would it be more feasible to head back down towards Flagstaff and then back west on I-40?

Ideas and thoughts are very welcome :)

Rgds,
    David

Default You will have been in it for most of the day...

Quote Originally Posted by dabstar View Post
    As part of a 4 week "classic" southwestern circle (LA - SF - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon - Monument Valley - Joshua Tree - San Diego - LA) summer trip
    That sounds really good to me, mind if I tag along? Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I expect to overnight in Kayenta, AZ before going into the valley the following morning. We are just driving through and stopping to take pictures so I don't expect our visit to the valley to take more than 3-4 hours.
    Very smart on the timing -- there are two aspects to visiting Monument Valley and I am not sure which you are considering doing. The public version (no fees) is to simply drive along US-163 on a NE directional into Utah. And the views are spectacular -- but there is also the scenic drive into the Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park. This is a private park run by the Navajo Nation and the advantage is that you get to drive right up to some of the mesas. In year's past, one could drive the scenic road in one's own car -- but I believe the road is pretty washed out and so now you have to go in a guides car. In any case, this is a money-making operation for the Nation -- personally, I think the fees are worth the experience. Here is more information.
    Say we'd want to leave Monument Valley at 1pm having a day and a half to get to Twentynine Palms. What route should I take? Where should we overnight? I wouldn't mind driving down through the Reservation and seeing the Petrified Forest NP and possible staying on the Reservation.
    From the time you leave the confines of the Grand Canyon National Park you will be driving through sovereign territory of the Navajo and Hopi Nations -- so I am not really sure what you meant by "seeing the reservation". But the circle route to the east that you suggested towards Canyon de Chelly is pretty amazing. Canyon de Chelly is one of those truly special places in the west.

In any case, I would think you would want to use I-40 to make tracks and stay overnight at ether Kingman or Lake Havasu (London Bridge in morning light).

Mark

Default I drove round the mittens two years ago in my own car

Not sure if it is still possible but definitely worth it.

Default I watched a rental car disappear into one of those pot-holes

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo99 View Post
    Not sure if it is still possible but definitely worth it.
    That is about when I was there last too. Some of those potholes are EXTREME!

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    That is about when I was there last too. Some of those potholes are EXTREME!

Mark
    They certainly were. That was no place to indulge my love of driving fast! But, wow, what an inspirational place. I stood at the observation point and just gazed at them for ages. And the drives in and out of the valley are simply incredible. I'm sitting here at home working and now drooling at the thought of going back. Which I'll probably never have time to do. Boo.

6. Default

Allright,

I've decided to try and make time to stop and see Canyon de Chelly.

I need a place to stay and need some recommendations. I'm thinking maybe Holbrook and then driving straight to Twentynine Palms the next day - Google Maps says 6,5 hours so it should be doable.

Any suggestions for a place to stay in the area? maybe Tuba City (also about 6,5 hours from 29palms)?