1. Default Driving from Seattle to San Diego

Me and my wife are planning a road trip vacation in US. We start from Seattle on May 25th and we go back to our country (Greece!) on June 3rd. We will rent a SUV car from Seattle and we want to drive down to San Diego, not miising San Franscisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas (and little Mexico..)

Any friend to give us ideas and help to plan our trip ?

Thanks
    Nikos-Elli
    Athens, Greece

Default a starting point

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

You'll have lots of options, from exploring the coast to spending a little time in the mountains. This thread already has many ideas that should help you get started.

Default It will be a fast trip!

Quote Originally Posted by nikos View Post
    Me and my wife are planning a road trip vacation in US. We start from Seattle on May 25th and we go back to our country (Greece!) on June 3rd.
    You can certanly drive that far in a week, but you won't have much time to spend in the cities. At a minimum, your trip will be 1500 miles, which is certainly doable -- how much time were you planning on staying in each of the cities you identified? And where is "little Mexico"?

Mark

4. Default Stay in cities-Little mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    You can certanly drive that far in a week, but you won't have much time to spend in the cities. At a minimum, your trip will be 1500 miles, which is certainly doable -- how much time were you planning on staying in each of the cities you identified? And where is "little Mexico"?

Mark
    We prefer to visit cities (downtowns) and stay out of them. So, one night per city would be good for us-except in cases that this is not enough (e.g. SF?).
    As for "little Mexico", we mean that from San Diego we want to go in Mexico for one day. Is it advised to stay overnight or we can get a smell in morning-evening mode if we have a place to stay in San Diego ?
    And last, what about going and stay one night in Las Vegas ?

thanks a lot for your help

Nikos

Default Where are you flying home from?

Quote Originally Posted by nikos View Post
    We prefer to visit cities (downtowns) and stay out of them. So, one night per city would be good for us-except in cases that this is not enough (e.g. SF?).
    If you only want to stay one day in each city, you will really want to have a good plan for hitting the highlights.

I'll give you some of my must-see things in Seattle: The Public Market, waterfront, Ye Olde Curiousity Shoppe, Pioneer Square, Doc Maynard's, if you have time try to do Bill Speidel's Underground Tour, then wake up to Westlake Center and take the monorail to the Space Needle. If you have any time left, you might either want to do the Experience Music Project right next to the Space Needle or take the monorail back and just walk around the the Seattle shopping district. It's kinda fun to just sit at Westlake Center and people watch by the Starbucks and watch the street musicians. Or go back to the Public Market and do the same. You won't need a car to do this because, if you're in fairly good shape, this is all in walking distance. This would be a full, fun day and give you a good taste of Seattle.

I'm not as familiar with the other cities on your list. Hopefully others will pop in or do a search using the search tool in the green bar above. Plug in the name of the different cities and you should get a list of threads to read to give you ideas.

As for "little Mexico", we mean that from San Diego we want to go in Mexico for one day. Is it advised to stay overnight or we can get a smell in morning-evening mode if we have a place to stay in San Diego ?
    I would suggest just taking a bus across for the day for two basic reasons. First, you can't take your car across into Mexico so it seems like just a day trip would be easier. Second, you really don't have a lot of time to see all the places you listed so I think this will give you a good enough look-around with the time you'll probably have.

And last, what about going and stay one night in Las Vegas ?
    I'm really not sure you'll have time for this. To squeeze it in might make the rest of your trip feel far too rushed. I think I would just try to keep that loose. You might make a hotel reservation and then keep track of the cancellation rules so you can cancel it if you decide you don't have time without a penalty. You could not bother with reservations and just go if you have time and get a hotel. But the hotels there are huge and just in case you didn't find a room at your first stop, you could be wasting a lot of time. Most times I don't recommend reservations but when you're traveling on a tight time-frame, it can be a good idea.

Where are you flying out of? How many days have you allowed to get back there?

thanks a lot for your help

Nikos[/quote]