Default Road trip from Austin, TX to Boston

Hi Guys,

First post. I've got a job waiting for me in Boston and I plan on driving there after I graduate in May.

My original plan was to make for Great Smokey Mountains Nat'l Park (through Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville), take Hwy 441 through the Park to NC and then travel on the Blue Ridge Parkway in its entirety to Shenandoah Nat'l Park. And then through Washington, DC, Philly, NYC to Boston.

I was planning on hiking a few small trails and camping nights, but since my roommate bailed out on me (he's flying to Asia from Newark but needs to go a little early), I'll be traveling alone (unless I can find a rideshare) and will therefore stick to cheap motels.

If any of you guys have made a similar trip before, how many days should I plan for? Also, what are the best (read cheap) places to stay, must-sees in cities and nature (waterfalls, peaks, short-hikes, etc.), warnings, dangers, etc.?

Thanks, and great forum.

Default Congratulations on the graduation and the new job!

Quote Originally Posted by underdawg View Post
    First post. I've got a job waiting for me in Boston and I plan on driving there after I graduate in May.
    A perfect reason for a road trip! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    My original plan was to make for Great Smokey Mountains Nat'l Park (through Dallas, Little Rock, Memphis, Nashville), take Hwy 441 through the Park to NC and then travel on the Blue Ridge Parkway in its entirety to Shenandoah Nat'l Park. And then through Washington, DC, Philly, NYC to Boston.
    Sounds like quite a great route -- parts of it will be somewhat slow -- you would need to figure a minimum of five days.
    I'll be traveling alone (unless I can find a rideshare) and will therefore stick to cheap motels.
    Solo travel is fun too. Here is a post from one of our veteran solo travelers and here is a short article I wrote about cutting costs. Here is another one about roadtripping on a budget.

Mark

Default You Need Time Enough

Dawg, the route you've laid out is just a shade over 2100 miles and could conceivably be driven in 4 days, IF you stuck to the Interstates. But the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive have speed limits closer to 35 than 65, and US-441 through the Smokies is similarly speed challenged. Plus I assume you want to see some of the historic sites, museums and memorials in Washington, Philadelphia and New York. So to your 4 days minimum driving time, add at least a couple of days, so why not just call it a week.

As for accommodations, Motel 6, Super 8, and Red Roof Inns tend to be the cheapest, and each has a website that lists their locations and will let you find what each franchise along the way charges. I tend to opt for the next level up, such as Days Inn and Best Western and still generally manage to get away with $50-60/night. You will not be at a loss for hiking trails in either the Great Smokies, along the Blue Ridge Parkway or in Shenandoah National Park. Just be sure to get each park's brochure when you enter or at the visitor's center.

'Must sees' are different for each person, and finding what appeals to you is part of the wonder and joy of RoadTrips. So just come at it with an open mind and enough time to explore a bit and you'll have a great time.

AZBuck

Default Change of plans; now moving to the Bay Area (from Austin)

I was originally going to move to Boston, but a change of employers means that I will be moving to the Bay Area in California from Austin, Texas. I'll have about a week after the semester ends and I want to make it an enjoyable road trip. Approximate dates and May 19-26.

I know the shortest route is I-10 and then up through I-5 to the Bay Area. I have traveled this route and although I-5 is great, I-10 is too boring for me. I've also traveled on I-40 (too many spring break road trips), which is much better, and seen the sights there. In any case, driving through north/west Texas is a drag. Flat prairie with dead grass and shrubs for miles. (No offense intended to those who like it.)

I do enjoy mountain driving (best use of a manual transmission), so once I am out of Texas I want to go through the Rocky Mountains in Colorado, then through Utah and Nevada to California.

All I've ever done before are "speed runs" with three or more people and no rest/night stops, but this time I'll be traveling solo and plan on a combination of camping, cheap motels and truck stops for sleeping at night. I'm more of an outdoors kind of person and am indifferent to sightseeing in cities. So, activities would include short (< 5 hours) hiking trips.

Some questions:

1) What's the most scenic route through the Rocky Mountains? I have gone on West CO-82 through Independence Pass (hiking trip to Grizzly Lake) before and enjoyed it. Google Maps tells me to go up to Denver and then west on I-70. Any routes that have good short hikes? Any must-see detours? One problem: I have a 95 Honda Prelude; it's pretty low slung and has "questionable" shocks so I need smooth roads.

2) Once I merge with I-70 West and near its terminus, should I go up to Salt Lake City and then take I-80 West to California? Or, would the straight route on US-50 be better? I read that US-50 through Nevada is very barren and lonely. Which one's more scenic?

3) Once I reach California should I see Lake Tahoe, Yosemite Nat'l Park, or take any of the other Sierra passes?

4) Any parks/attractions that I should definitely go to along the way? Right now I've only got Arches National Park.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by underdawg; 05-08-2007 at 04:59 AM.

Default Tahoe

You HAVE to stop and see Tahoe. Most beautiful lake ever. its crystal clear like a mirror and no picture can ever do it justice. So dont pass that one out!

Have fun with that manual in San Fran. Killer hills!