Thread: RV advice

1. Default San Francisco to LA (via Las Vegas)

Hi guys, like most first time posters I will start by saying you have an excellent forum here, there is a huge amount of information which will make planning my trip to the US alot easier.

I hope you will extend your knowledge 1 more time.

I will start with the basics, myself and 3 friends land in San Francisco on June 3rd and leave LA on the 17th. During this time we are want to spend a few days in San Fran (vistit Alcatraz etc), we then hope to rent a campervan and travel down the Pacific Coast Highway (would you recommend first travelling to yosemite then doubling back). It is now it gets a little tricky for me, what road would be best to take from 101 to Las vegas, we are also be looking to spend some time at the Grand Canyon (would you recommend travelling this in the Campervan).

For the final leg of the journey (LV to LA) we are going to drop the campervan in Las Vegas and get the bus or train (simply because of the travel congestion in LA).

so, to wrap up, is this route viable, are there any other better routes from
    San Fr to LA and does anyone know the insurance cost on under 25's hiring a campervan for 10 days.

thanks in advance

Default More ideas

Quote Originally Posted by sricha18 View Post
    Hi guys, like most first time posters I will start by saying you have an excellent forum here,
    Thank you! Always nice to hear & welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!

For starters, you might wish to read some of these threads as they touch on parts of your route and also look at the bottom of this and other pages for more threads.
    (would you recommend first travelling to yosemite then doubling back).
    Yosemite is pretty great, but I don't know your time window.
    It is now it gets a little tricky for me, what road would be best to take from 101 to Las vegas
    The Pacific Coast Highway is CA-1 not US-101. But what we generally recommend is to take CA-166 east to Bakersfield and then CA-58 to CA-14 to CA-178 to CA-190 (thru Death Valley) and then on to Pahrump NV-16 to Las Vegas.
    we are also be looking to spend some time at the Grand Canyon (would you recommend travelling this in the Campervan).
    I am not sure you really have time for this trip too.
    For the final leg of the journey (LV to LA) we are going to drop the campervan in Las Vegas and get the bus or train (simply because of the travel congestion in LA).
    There is no train service between Las Vegas and LA

Mark

3. Default RV advice

Hi guys

I am hoping to pick your brains for some advice.

Myself and three friends are planning on hiring an RV to drive the west coast. The problem we have is that one member of the group is adamant we should hire an 8 man vehicle (rather than the more obvious 4 man) for comfort reasons. We are all from Britain, so are more used to driving on the left and only one of us has experience of driving an RV before.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can go about persuading him that an 8 man vehicle is just not practical (ie Maneuverability, price differences or even difficulty driving the pacific coast highway or other roads).

Any help will be much appreciated

thanks

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

Perhaps go by floorplan rather than length.

If you look up the RV brand/style/model on the rental sites, then you can go to the manufactors site and check the floorplan and see if that would perhaps suit your needs.

Maybe even split the difference in size.

Default What 8-person vehicle is this????

Quote Originally Posted by sricha18 View Post
    Myself and three friends are planning on hiring an RV to drive the west coast. The problem we have is that one member of the group is adamant we should hire an 8 man vehicle (rather than the more obvious 4 man) for comfort reasons.
    An eight person vehicle -- what does it look like? Here is an article we published that provides an overview about the types of RVs that are out there. I am not sure I know what kind you are referring to!
    Does anyone have any advice on how I can go about persuading him that an 8 man vehicle is just not practical (ie Maneuverability, price differences or even difficulty driving the pacific coast highway or other roads).
    Personally, the easiest RVs to drive are the largest ones -- the engineering is much better and the chassis are stronger (Class A's) But in general, any RV can go anyplace that a city bus or truck can go.

Mark