1. Default East Coast - Late summer early fall

I'm 22 and im going back to my summer camp in PA this summer to teach water skiing.
    Around about the 25th August some of my buddies from New Zealand are coming over to join me in NYC to check out the sights and probably do a road trip for a month or so down and around the east coast.
    Great forums here so I thought i'd stop by for some advice.

At this stage we are probably looking at taking in NYC, Boston, Niagra, Toronto, Phillie in the north and then
    at this stage (open to suggestions) taking the coast road down the east eventually arriving in Florida.

Is this realistic to see in 1 month ?

1) buy or rent a car ? Some people suggest that buying a car and ensuring it could be a better option than renting? is it easy to organise one way rentals?

2) What American sports season will we be in ? Will we be able to catch some baseball and possibly a football game?

3) Places like Washington, charlotte and new orleans are also places I want to visit at some stage, would those be too far inland to include in a 1 month trip ?

4) as far as accomodation goes, there will be 3 guys traveling the journey, would most reasonable sized towns/cities have backpacker style accomodation?

and I guess the last question will be the weather, considering we are traveling south over the period of september we shouldnt run into any serious weather problems should we ?
    It will remain fairly warm and nice?

As I say im very open to ideas and suggestions on what to skip and what to take in.

We are MASSIVE NBA fans, we love our sport (possibly go to the baseball museum etc for that reason) We love live music, umm, basically just young active guys from a small island in the south pacific ocean wanting to see the world.
    Advise and critisms of current trip plans are welcomed.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

We recommend you start some of your planning on this page - there are many great articles linked to from that page.

Quote Originally Posted by MalchieNZ View Post
    We are MASSIVE NBA fans, we love our sport (possibly go to the baseball museum etc for that reason) We love live music, umm, basically just young active guys from a small island in the south pacific ocean wanting to see the world.
    Ermm - NBA is basketball, MLB is baseball - either way, the two halls of fame aren't that far away from each other.

The Basketball Hall of Fame is in Springfield, MA - they put up a new building a couple of years ago and it looks really spectacular, especially at night.

The Baseball Hall of Fame is in Cooperstown, NY

1) buy or rent a car ? Some people suggest that buying a car and ensuring it could be a better option than renting? is it easy to organise one way rentals?
    See this thread for more on this - a search will net you several other examples as well.
    2) What American sports season will we be in ? Will we be able to catch some baseball and possibly a football game?
    Yes and yes to both of these. You will be coming in at the end of baseball season and the beginning of football season.

3) Places like Washington, charlotte and new orleans are also places I want to visit at some stage, would those be too far inland to include in a 1 month trip ?
    It is possible, but I think you may be starting to stretch yourself out a little thin at this point.

In relation to your question about weather, you should be fine, though depending on where you are ultimately going to head to, just be aware that this is the heart of hurricane season, which tends to affect the South more than most other places.

4) as far as accomodation goes, there will be 3 guys traveling the journey, would most reasonable sized towns/cities have backpacker style accomodation?
    Try this link for more about hostels, which sounds like something you'd be interested in.
    Last edited by Mass Tim; 05-07-2007 at 05:39 PM. Reason: The missing link

Default It's a Little Ambitious, But a Start

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Well, certainly you can do (almost) everything you've listed in a month, including returning from Florida to New York

1) Since you presumably have a physical address in the US, it is at least possible for you to buy a car, but you need to be aware of the problems with both ways of getting a car. If you buy, there's the depreciation you'd suffer, the cost of insurance which you may have to buy for at least 6 months, and any required maintenance and repairs come out of your pocket. If you rent, most of those problems go away, but you'll take a huge hit since you and your friends are under 25. This will cost you $25/day per driver on top of the usual cost of the rental.

2) August is prime Baseball season, with lots of Major League games in the northeast, Georgia and Florida, and Minor League games along the rest of the east coast. It is also the start of Football, with preseason games on tap. Basketball will, unfortunately, be dormant, but the Basketball Hall of Fame is in Springfield, Massachusetts which you can see on your way between New York and Boston.

3) Washington and Charlotte could certainly be included, New Orleans is probably a bit off your path with everything else you have planned. I'm assuming that you're going to make a round trip from Mew York to Florida and back, so that you can hug the coast one way, and venture inland a bit the other way.

4) America does not have the Hostel network that you may be used to, but we do have excellent state park systems that allow camping within say 25 miles of anywhere, and we also have low-priced motels where the three of you could probably all bed down (in one room) for around $60.

5) It will be warm, yes, but most likely wet as well for at least several days during your trip. You will also be traveling during hurricane season, so you will have to keep an eye on the weather during your journey.

Your plans are pretty bare bones at this point, but we'll help you as you firm them up. Hopefully the answers to your questions above will be of assistance in that regards.

AZBuck

Default Enterprise

I'm also a traveler under 25. Enterprise has the best deal at $12.50 extra per day, however they do not do out of state dropoffs. So if you pick it up in NY, you have to return it there as well.

If you hug the coast down, jump on HWY 17 in North Calolina and take that down to Jacksonville. You'll hit a lot of towns and atractions along the way. The drive is a little slower as its more of a back road then the main highway 95 but its so beautiful and peaceful. Check out Wilmington NC, Myrtle Beach SC, Charleston SC, Savannah GA, and Jacksonville FL and St. Augustine FL. Plus there are a chain of islands all down the Carolina's and Georga and I think into Florida too. You'll hit up plenty of hot spots with good night life at that time of year. And being from another country, the girls will just be melting to buy you a drink!

Have fun and be safe!