Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default San Fran-la-vegas

Heyhey!!!
    I need some serious info here lol

I am planning a summer trip san fran to la to vegas From June 30 to July 7th.

San Fran to LA -- I would like to take highway 1 for obvious reasons. I was inquiring about:
    A) Traffic? I believe it is a long weekend in the States (July 4th).
    B) Time? Distance?

LA to Vegas
    A) Traffic to Vegas on the 4th?

Thank you all for your help. This will be the trip of a lifetime!!

Default Should be a lovely holiday

Quote Originally Posted by tommy1879 View Post
    I am planning a summer trip san fran to la to vegas From June 30 to July 7th.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum -- you will be early enough that fog shouldn't be much of a problem (the summer heat always produces dense fog along the coast...)
    San Fran to LA -- I would like to take highway 1 for obvious reasons. I was inquiring about:
    A) Traffic? I believe it is a long weekend in the States (July 4th).
    B) Time? Distance?
    It will be a busy -- if you stay on the coast the entire distance it will be take 10+ hours.
    LA to Vegas: A) Traffic to Vegas on the 4th?
    Normal travel time is 4 to 5 hours -- Since the 4th is on a Wednesday this year -- I have no idea how to predict, but I would guess you need to allow at least six hours.

Here is a list of some more threads that you will find helpful.

Mark

Default Which Routes

Welcome to the RTA forum!

Which way are you planning on going from SF to LA? The fastest option would be I-5, which will take you around 7 hours or so. If you are taking the scenic Pacific Coast Highway, you'd be looking at twice that, and you really would want to extend your trip to two days.

LA to Vegas is usually about 5 hours, depending upon where in LA you are starting from. However, extra traffic on the 4th could pretty easily add an hour or more to your time.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS!!! Truely appreciate it

Yeah looking at some pictures of Big Sur it looks beautiful and considering Im coming from Canada (Montreal), this will probably be the first and last time I will ever be able to take a trip like this.
    Im also looking forward to the desert drive. That looks awsome as well.

10+ hours along the coast!! Daammmmnn!! You Americans love to drive lol

Looking at mapquest and such I found that you can cut through either the 101 or 5 to hgway 1 so i might consider crossing through in Monterey.

Looking forward to catching a ball game or 2 in the states. Will be an experience and a half!!

Default I would recommend crossing on CA-17

Yeah looking at some pictures of Big Sur it looks beautiful and considering Im coming from Canada (Montreal),

This is one of those places you have to stop and see. (photo by Roadie and here is the access information)
    Looking at mapquest and such I found that you can cut through either the 101 or 5 to hgway 1 so i might consider crossing through in Monterey.
    I would use CA-17 hitting CA-1 at Santa Cruz and then south.
    Looking forward to catching a ball game or 2 in the states. Will be an experience and a half!!
    Here is some information about doing that.

Mark

Default More Big Sur Questions

I would use CA-17 hitting CA-1 at Santa Cruz and then south.
    Will this save a lot of time? BIG SUR is my main POI so looking for the quickest way there from SF.

Thanks for that picture. I will definately stop there. Looking at the map it looks as if there is a parking lot right nearby so it will make it a little easier.

Thanks for the info Mark!! I owe you a beer in Vegas (On me since they are free lol)

Also do you have any info on the bridge in Big Sur? Looking for that on google but could not find it.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-07-2007 at 10:43 AM. Reason: continuation of previous post

Default Which Bridge?

Also do you have any info on the bridge in Big Sur? Looking for that on google but could not find it.
    There are dozens of bridges along that stretch of roadway. Are you thinking of the famous Bixby Bridge?

Mark

Yes sorry. Bixby Bridge is what I was talking about.

Default La To Vegas

Hey all!!

Just a quicky. How is the drive from LA to Vegas? Nice scenery?

I come from the north so this will be the first time i actually see this kinda desert and heat so I was just curious.

Anything I should be aware of? Any nice places to stop?

Thanks for your replies!!

Default Here's a helpful Link

We get this question a lot since it's a popular area of the country for roadtripping. If you'll follow the link I've put below it will lead you to links for several more threads on this topic.

Las Vegas/LA Threads

Let us know if you have anymore questions and be sure to report back on the success of your trip.

Laura