Default Chicago to Vegas in June - sights to see along the way?

Hey Everyone,

I just joined the forum and it's great. My wife and I are planning a road trip from Chicago to Vegas between Monday, June 17 and June 26-27. We need to be in Vegas by Thursday (the 21st) evening at the latest. I've found routes using Google maps, the AAA triptiks and the Yahoo! TripPlanner; all suggesting the same route.

Does anyone have suggestions for things to see/do during our drive across IL, IA, NE, CO, UT and NV, even if they are off our main path. We love old vintage things like buildings, businesses, cars, barns, etc. My wife is a budding photographer so she'd love to stop off for some photo ops. Both of us love wacky stuff so kitchy is good too. Americana as well.

We are open to anything (mostly). Also, any recommendations for hotels/motels and can't miss dining along our route would be greatly appreciated. This is our first long road trip together. Fun fun!

Default Nice time of year to be on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenMe View Post
    I just joined the forum and it's great.
    Thanks, that is always nice to hear -- Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    My wife and I are planning a road trip from Chicago to Vegas between Monday, June 17 and June 26-27.
    For your inbound part of the trip, I would recommend I-76 to I-70 with some side trips and then you can mosey a bit more on your way home. Instead of going through the Eisenhower tunnel just west of Denver, take the truck route and go over Loveland Pass -- the views are awesome! Be sure to stop at the rest areas as you go through Glenwood Canyon -- your wife will enjoy capturing shots of the train on the far side of the canyon with kayakers running the rapids in the foreground.

Once you reach Green River -- you will be one of my favorite stretches of Interstate highway in America -- here are two field reports -- one from the perspective of the highway and this one from just off the main track.

Be sure to look at the bottom of this page, and others on this forum, for more ideas.

How long will you be in Las Vegas?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post

How long will you be in Las Vegas?

Mark
    Thanks Mark! We'll be in Vegas from Thursday, 6/21 to Sunday, 6/24. Meeting friends from Phoenix there for a nutty weekend of gambling and debauchery. :) You'll find me at a Craps table.

Default Craps Tables hold some appeal

Quote Originally Posted by CitizenMe View Post
    You'll find me at a Craps table.
    Las Vegas has several appealing qualities -- if you ever tire of the table games, here are a few other things we find fascinating about this place. How long will you have for the return leg of the road trip?

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    Las Vegas has several appealing qualities -- if you ever tire of the table games, here are a few other things we find fascinating about this place. How long will you have for the return leg of the road trip?

Mark
    We've been to Vegas a couple of times so we'll definitely have some fun there. Probably see some shows as well as some of the more natural things around Vegas to drive to. We are leaving on Sunday, mid-day and plan to be back in Chicago sometime on Wednesday. So that give us 3ish days to get back and the same to get to Vegas.

Anybody have any suggestions for attractions or places to see between Chicago and Las Vegas?

Here's our path:
    I-88 W > I-80 W > I-76 S > I-70 W > I-15 S

Suggestions? I'm doing research myself by checking the tourism websites for each state, but I like to get opinions from real travelers like yourselves.