Thread: Toronto to LA

Default Toronto to LA

Hi there,

I'm planning a roadtrip from Toronto to LA this summer, and was wondering if anyone has route suggestions.
    Mapquest gives me the fastest way to get there, but If anyone has any other ideas, I'd love to hear.
    What are good places to see and stop along the way??
    Has anyone taken this trip before?

Also, I know sleeping in your car is not recommended... but if one must do it, what locations do you suggest?

Thanks in advance!

Default Infinite Options

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

There are three basic route to make this trip, following I-40, I-70, or I-80. They all will take a very similar amount of time to travel. The difference in mileage is just a tiny fraction of the overall mileage, and any one of them could be longer or shorter on any given day depending upon things like traffic and construction.

The best option simply depends upon what part of the US you'd like to see. And of course, you've gota few different options about how you can get to each of those highways from Toronto. If you've got more than 4-5 day (minnimum recommended time from Toronto to LA via the Interstates) your options expand even more, and you could get off onto some of the two lane roads, or explore some of the national parks along the way.

Sleeping in your car isn't always a bad thing. Mostly it comes down to individual comfort, and if you are traveling solo, you can often find ways to get reasonable comfortable inside your car. What I don't recommend is sleeping in a car with multiple people. there's just really not enough room in most cars for that to be comfortable.

If you are going to sleep in a car, make sure you find a safe, well traveled place to pull off to park. The forum members who sleep in their cars on a regular basis often recommend truck stops as a good choice, because they are well lit and have traffic all night. Just remember to get permission before you park at any private facility.

Default RoadTripUSA: Places to see

A great place to visit towards the beginning of the trip would to drive south into the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore which is just west of the south Bend. If you are not a fan of wet scenery, when you get to Colorado on interstate 70 west of Denver, becomes a very scenic route, especially when you reach Utah because you go through the San Rafael Swell. Towards the end of the trip you’ll be passing through Las Vegas, where you can stop by for a couple of shows and gaming.

warren@rtUSA
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2007 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added a link to the San Rafael field report

Default Trip Planning Tips

Quote Originally Posted by warren-rt-USA View Post
    A great place to visit towards the beginning of the trip would to drive south into the Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Nice post and nice to see the first of what we expect will be several trip suggestions from the Roadtrip USA Advice Team!

Mark

Default More National Park Options

I see that already a classmate of mine suggested sites along the Great Lakes and also the Las Vegas area I thought you might also want to know about some of the National Parks on the way. When you get into to Utah you can see Arches, Canyonlands, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef National Parks. You may even be able to reach the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-15-2007 at 10:04 AM. Reason: changed the title

Thank you all for the sound advice...

I will probably be going through the I-70 and I-80 for my trip, but I'm still considering the possibility of going through route 66. Not sure how much longer it would take me to go that way, or if it would be more expensive.... any ideas?
    Would it be a more interesting drive perhaps?

Default Route 66 is a popular quest

Quote Originally Posted by tkp View Post
    I will probably be going through the I-70 and I-80 for my trip, but I'm still considering the possibility of going through route 66. Would it be a more interesting drive perhaps?
    Well, not to me. I have never got the "Route 66 Bug" but RoadDog has traveled the entire route at least once -- here is a current roadtrip field report from a section in Illinois. I would think you would need to add 2-3 days to follow Route 66. Here is an excellent online tool for pre-planning purposes if you are going to try it.

Mark

Default Route 66, or the same general path

Trying to drive Route 66 would probablyadd a few days, since its 2 lane roads which in many cases haven't been maintained all that well since the highway was decommissioned.

However, if you just wanted to take the same path, and be able to stop in some of the old RT-66 towns along the way, you could take the Interstates that replaced the 2 lane highway (I-55, I-44,I-40) without it taking much more time than using I-80 and/or I-70.

I too have never had as much interest in following the actual decommissioned highway, but there is a fun quality about the towns that are along the path. One nice thing is that you can usually find some good mom and pop motels that have survived, which can be a nice break from the cookie-cutter chain motels. (Of course, if you are looking for some of the more popular amenities, those chains have a lot of advantages)