Default Revolutionary and Civil War--two weeks

My aunt and I will begin in Memphis then Knoxville to Gatlinburg for two nights in the Great Smoky Mountains. I've read July is the busy season, that's our trip month, and am looking for spectacular views without too many families. Then, we are heading to Virginia, around the D.C. area, Baltimore, Philidelphia (want to visit flight 93), Gettysburg, OH?, ending in Louisville. We have two nights at each of the locations listed except Gettysburg but I can make another night happen, if necessary. We are both big history buffs and want to see as many museums, historical sites, and national parks as possible.
    The trip is, more or less, mapped out but we want to see as many important sites in and out of the major cities. This is my second big road trip in as many years. I am 33 and my aunt is 81. She is very active, travels the world, but stairs and climbing are out of the question. Please advise :)
    Last edited by leannd00; 05-05-2007 at 08:21 PM.

Default 81 is just getting started!

Quote Originally Posted by leannd00 View Post
    My aunt and I will begin in Memphis then Knoxville to Gatlinburg for two nights in the Great Smoky Mountains.
    One of my roadtripping buddies is approaching 81 and he goes places his doctors would not be thrilled by. Here is one of those places. Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    We have two nights at each of the locations listed except Gettysburg but I can make another night happen, if necessary.
    Here is an audiobook I think you will enjoy -- the review was written by one of our roadtripping community historians.
    We are both big history buffs and want to see as many museums, historical sites, and national parks as possible.
    Here are some threads that you may find helpful:
    Kansas and Missouri historical info
    A short visit to Appomattox Court House National Historical Park
    The Widow of the South is another audiobook -- a novel -- but one based on period information.
    Scott Stanton's ideas for Civil War memorabilia along US-61

Well, that is a start anyway,

Mark

Default History Galore

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

I have a friend who 'collects' Civil War battlefields. When he and I drove cross country once, I was amazed at the number of these things. There are, of course, the big ones like Gettysburg that everyone knows about, but there are hundreds of others, like Poison Spring in Arkansas. So I hope I'm not insulting you with the sites I'm going to recommend.

The first would be Shiloh in south central Tennessee. You'll have to leave the Interstate, but US-64 provides a pleasant alternative across southern Tennessee, and will get you in the neighborhood. Continuing on US-64 to Chatanooga will bring you to another major Civil War Battlefield, Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park. From here, I-75 will take you up to Knoxville and Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The typical route from here would have you head up along the spine of the Appalachians into Virginia, but you might want to consider continuing eastward to Greensboro, NC and Guilford Courthouse National Military Park, scene of one of the pivotal battles of the Southern Campaign in the Revolutionary War. US-29 would then take you up into Virginia, close by Appomattox Court House, and right by Monticello, which while not a battlefield, is certainly associated with one of our country's founders.

The Washington area is just packed with Civil War sites, including Manassas, Antietam, and a little farther afield, Harpers Ferry. In the same vein as Monticello, a visit to Mount Vernon would also be in order. On the way up to Philadelphia, a detour up US-1 north of Baltimore will bring you to the Brandywine Battlefield Historic Site. In Philadelphia, of course, you'll have to visit Independence National Historical Park, and on your way westward out of town, Valley Forge.

Westward out of Gettysburg, you could follow I-76 (the Pennsylvania Turnpike), or you could drop a bit farther south to pick up I-70 west at Hagerstown. In the later case, just west of Hagerstown, at Big Pool, MD, you can visit Fort Frederick, and then follow the old National Road through Pennsylvania, site of one of Washington's first commands, Fort Necessity.

Anyway, that's already more than you can see in two weeks so I'll stop now. But you get the idea, and I'm sure you have a few ideas of your own.

AZBuck

Default Wow! Great list

AZBuck,

That is a great line-up -- and going in my favorite post list for Civil War history.

mark

5. Default

Not much to add to a post I'll be taking notes from, but the Confederate White House in Richmond is definitely worth a stop if you are looking for relevant sites for the period.