hughesmiester Guest

Default Baseball road trip in August

Hello...I am currently planning a week long road trip with two of my buddies and I am looking for any suggestions. We are going to hit a bunch of baseball games, and cap it off with a preseason Packers game at Lambeau field. We're driving from Boston, here's what I've got so far:

saturday, august 11th: worcester to phills 4 half hours
    monday, august 13th: philly to pittsburgh: 5 hrs
    tuesday, august 14th: pittsburgh to cleveland: 2 hrs 15 mins
    wednesday, august 15th: cleveland to chicago 5 and a half hours
    friday, august 17th: chicago to milwaukee 1 hr 42 mins
    saturday, august 18th: milwaukee to green bay 2 hours
    sunday, august 19th: green bay to milwaukee

august 11: philly
    august 12: braves at phillies
    august 13: giants at pirates
    14: tigers at cleveland
    15: reds at cubs
    16: field of dreams, reds at cubs
    17: reds at brewers
    18: seahawks at packers

Any tips, anything i should know that you could help me out with would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks for reading either way!

Default Great Trip, But Be Realistic

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

Your time estimates for your drives are clearly coming from software, either on-line services like MapQuest or resident software like Streets & Trips. In any case you will need to add 15-20% to those fantasy times for what it will take in the real world where there are things like traffic, gas stops, and meals. Add even more time when your drive takes you into or through a major city, particularly at rush hour. It's not a big deal in your case, because you do have time to complete your legs. Just don't be surprised when it takes you significantly over 5 hours from Worcester to Philadelphia rather than 4 and a half. The one spot where these unrealistic estimates are in serious danger of getting you into trouble is the Chicago/Dyersville/Chicago drive. That's just over 400 miles, and you plan to do it, presumably, between the time you wake up and the start of the Cubs-Reds game at 1:20 in the afternoon. Not Going To Happen. Also, you should be aware that the major freeway artery through central Chicago is under reconstruction and so you should factor that into all your driving into, through, and out of Chicago.

AZBuck

hughesmiester Guest

Yeah I forgot to take out that game at 1:20 for the Cubs, we were already conceding that we weren't going to that game, which is alright since we'll still have the Thrusday night game. Thanks for the advice!
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-04-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: linear navigation

hughesmiester Guest

I was just talking to my friend and we were actually thinking about driving down to Baltimore on August 11th, for the Red Sox game, then staying over there, then the drive to Philly Sunday morning. As for the Dyersville drive, that's probably the last thing we are worried about so if we are real burnt out we won't do that and instead will stay (sic) around in Chi town all day.
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-04-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Good Neighbor Rules -- Contact Editor for more info

Default My thoughts

I try to take at least one baseball roadtrip each summer, and last year I wrote down the steps I take when planning and the special challenges I've found when planning a baseball roadtrip.

Here's the thread with my thoughts

enjoy!

ps-If you are going to do Field of Dreams, I'd recommend stopping there between your Chicago and Milwaukee stops. US-151 would provide a nice diagonal freeway for you that would save some miles of doubling back to Chicago.

hughesmiester Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Michael View Post
    I try to take at least one baseball roadtrip each summer, and last year I wrote down the steps I take when planning and the special challenges I've found when planning a baseball roadtrip.

Here's the thread with my thoughts

enjoy!

ps-If you are going to do Field of Dreams, I'd recommend stopping there between your Chicago and Milwaukee stops. US-151 would provide a nice diagonal freeway for you that would save some miles of doubling back to Chicago.
    That was a great read, thanks alot I do appreciate it.

How do you feel about this:

Saturday April 11, Worcester to Baltimore (Sox at O's)
    Sunday April 12, Baltimore to Philly (Braves at Phills)
    Monday April 13, Philly to Pittsburgh (Giants at Pirates)
    Tuesday April 14, Pitt to Cleveland (Tigers at Indians)
    Wedensday April 14, Cleveland to Chicago (realize we won't make the day game so this will just be a day in Chicago)
    Thursday April 14, Reds at Cleveland
    Friday August 15, Chicago to Milwaukee (Reds at Brewers)
    Saturday August 16, Milwaukee to Green Bay (Seahawks at Packers)

What do you think about this? The Philly game on Sunday is the only day game, so we should have ample time to drive to and from city to city. Nice trip or what? Any tips?

7. Default Well I am going to plan on being in Pitts/SF DH as well!

My trip is all tenative. Moving to CT from LA, going solo and have 10 days. No tickets yet and not sure about the time.

Leaving for Vegas on Aug 4th.
    Day 2 Vegas to Grand Junction Colorado
    Day 3 GJ,CO to Denver check in to a hotel (I think solo Vegas to Denver would be too draining) and go to the Mil @ Colorado on the the 6th
    Day 4 Denver to KC A LONG BORING SOLO DAY
    Day 5 sleep in late get some BBQ and see the Twins vs Royals
    Day 6 This is a tossup either wake up very early,try to make it to Cincy for the Dodgers vs Cincy early or a short 4hr drive to St Louis wait a day till Dodgers Play @ Cards, but not sure if I will be bored to death in St Louis for 1/2 days.
    Day 7-8 If I go to the early game in Cincy then head to Cleveland to See the Browns Pre-Season game on Sat and the Yanks vs Indians on Sun
    Day 9 Go to Pitts for the DH vs Giants and hopefully we see Bonds Break/tie the record
    Day 10 ALL DAY DRIVE AND ARRIVE IN CT

[Editor's Note: I moved the following from another thread -- that was deleted as a duplicate thread)
    Days I have Questions about are

Day 2/3 Vegas to Grand Junction. I could do Mesquite to Denver if that is doable solo so I can have a full day in denver on Monday. It looks long on mapquest, looking for some feedback on what I should do (Could even stop in Vegas for 4 hrs then go to St. George then St George to Denver?)

Day 6-8 Is St Louis worth exploring for a day vs waking up super early and trying to go to Cincy? The advantage of Cincy is that I dont waste a day and get to see my G-Ma in Cleveland for an extra day
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 07-22-2007 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Navigation

Default Baseball and Moving -- Great Combination!

Quote Originally Posted by LAtoCT10days View Post
    My trip is all tenative. Moving to CT from LA, going solo and have 10 days.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Combining a cross country move with a baseball road trip could either be brilliant or a sketchy idea -- how much valuable stuff will you have with you in your car?
    Leaving for Vegas on Aug 4th.
    This is only 4-5 hours from LA -- maybe you ought to go further on the first day?
    Day 2 Vegas to Grand Junction Colorado
    This is another easy day -- you can go from Las Vegas to Denver in one day (a very loooong day)!
    Day 4 Denver to KC A LONG BORING SOLO DAY
    It is meditative -- not boring...
    but not sure if I will be bored to death in St Louis for 1/2 days.
    I can't imagine being bored in St. Louis -- lots of history, great bars, the arch...
    hopefully we see Bonds Break/tie the record
    That would be cool to see that!

Happy Planning!

Mark

Default more detail

Quote Originally Posted by LAtoCT10days View Post
    Day 2/3 Vegas to Grand Junction. I could do Mesquite to Denver if that is doable solo so I can have a full day in denver on Monday. It looks long on mapquest, looking for some feedback on what I should do (Could even stop in Vegas for 4 hrs then go to St. George then St George to Denver?)
    What I recommend is that you stay overnight at either Cedar City or Richfield. You really are in for a treat with the views along I-70 (even with the recent wildfires) -- here is a field report.
    Day 6-8 Is St Louis worth exploring for a day vs waking up super early and trying to go to Cincy?
    I have always enjoyed my time in St. Louis...

Mark