1. Default Short road trip Chicago to St Louis

Hello, my wife & I are attending a wedding in St Louis in June of this year. We're flying into Chicago (from Ireland) and are planning to drive from Chicago to St Louis and back again after the wedding. Just wondering if anyone could recommend places to see along the way or alternative routes so that we don't travel there and back along the same bit of road? Thanks.

Green County, Wisconsin

Default Loop

Welcome to the RTA Forum!

I would take I-55 one way. It is the direct route that follows the path of Old Route 66, going through Springfield on the way.

I'd then come back up the Great River Road, following the Mississippi north before cutting back across the state.

Tucson, AZ

Default River Roads

Céad Míle Fáilte!

As it happens, I am in the midst of planning a trip over much of that same ground for July of this year. It is the season for weddings! I agree with Michael that the Great River Road ought to be included in your route somewhere, somehow. Two of the places I'm planning on stopping are Hannibal, MO, and Nauvoo, IL to pick up a bit of 19th century Americana. For the part where Michael suggested that you cut across Illinois between Chicago and the Great River Road, you might try a lesser known scenic byway, the Illinois River Road.

4. Default Springfield native

Hi Fandango;

I'm not sure how much time you will have, but the rave in Springfield, (about three hours south of Chicago, 1.5 hours north of STL, is the new Abraham Lincoln Museum.

As others have told you, you will take I 55 straight south all the way to STL. I'd be happy to direct you to more central IL, Springfield stuff.

The Great Midwest, Illinois to be precise

Default Also Lincoln Highway

By all means, get off I-55 and travel along Route 66. Along with Springfield's Lincoln Museum and newly opened Depot across from it, I'd also suggest Bill Shea's gasoline museum and the Cozy Dog. Make sure you try a horseshoe sandwich, a local culinary delight. Perhaps stay at the the Route 66 Hotel south of town.

As already suggested, a trip along the Mississippi would be a great way coming back. You can catch the nation's first transcontinental road, the Lincoln Highway, at Fulton, and see the working Dutch windmill along the levee. You'll go through small town America and can see the Ronald Reagan Boyhood Home in Dixon.

You can find more information about the Illinois section of the Lincoln Highway at:

Keep on Down that Two Lane Highway. --RoadDog