1. Default How Lonely is The Loneliest Road In America? Which 3 Routes to cross Nevada?

I wrote a few weeks back about a two week RV trip my fiancee and I are planning near the end of this month. We are driving from Las Vegas thru Arizona, up into Utah, veering around the Grand Circle, and then heading across Nevada to Lake Tahoe to hit Yosemite and the eastern Sierras. We plan to spend a few relaxing days in Park City Utah before heading across Nevada.

Nevada has always fascinated me and I'd love to explore the best parts. My question is is which is the best/scenic way to cross from Salt Lake City to Reno, NV in a reasonable amount of time.

Option #1- would be to just drive Rt 80 from SLC to Reno... Maybe if I have time I would head North to Pyramid Lake and Gerlach, NV (visit Burning Man/Black Rock Desert)

Option #2- Drive Rt 80 to Wendover... take RT93 south to Ely, NV. then take Rt 50 to Reno.

Option #3- Take 15 south to Rt 6/50. Take Rt 50 west toward Ely. Follow Rt 6 Southwest thru Groom Lake, Tonopah, Ut, the head North toward Reno.

I don't want to paint myself into a corner. I know both Rt 6 & 50 are ambitious. I will be renting a 25ft class C RV and I will need adequate access to gas, water...etc. Any advice which is the best route to take. Anything I should not miss?
    Last edited by Mark Sedenquist; 05-03-2007 at 10:26 PM. Reason: Added a link to the other thread

Default Not that lonely, (unfortunately)

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant View Post
    Nevada has always fascinated me and I'd love to explore the best parts.
    Nevada is my home and it continues to astound me with those little-known discoveries. Unfortunately, none of your options are really all that "lonely" -- there is plenty of traffic and towns along the way. Now, you will see great examples of the famed basin and range geographic structures and some open "wild spaces" but you will also see and be near other vehicles your entire way.

Here is a field report I wrote about "Old Nevada" which you might find interesting...
    Option #1- would be to just drive Rt 80 from SLC to Reno... Maybe if I have time I would head North to Pyramid Lake and Gerlach, NV (visit Burning Man/Black Rock Desert)
    This would be the fastest and you could stop at the Tree of Life near Wendover and also, as you mentioned, take the side trip to the Black Rock Desert and the famous Guru Drive.
    Option #2- Drive Rt 80 to Wendover... take RT93 south to Ely, NV. then take Rt 50 to Reno.
    #2 would be my choice!
    Option #3- Take 15 south to Rt 6/50. Take Rt 50 west toward Ely. Follow Rt 6 Southwest thru Groom Lake, Tonopah, Ut, the head North toward Reno.
    At Preston I would take the "speed course" (even in the RV) and follow NV-318 down to NV-375 (the ET Highway) over to Tonopah (the mining museum) and then north on US-95 to Carson City, Virginia City and Reno.
    I will be renting a 25ft class C RV and I will need adequate access to gas, water...etc. Any advice which is the best route to take. Anything I should not miss?
    Fuel and water will not be a problem on any route...

Mark

3. Default

I took 50 last year, and was amazed by it. Most of the stretch I felt farther away from "civilization" than I ever have, and I can see where the Loneliest Road designation came from. I decided to finally push my 350Z up to 135 mpg on one stretch, and for the 20 odd miles I did it, I didn't pass a single person going either way. And for such a deserted road, it had plenty of interesting stops. The petroglyphs of Grimes Pt, the castle in Austin, Eureka.

Austin and Eureka are spaced well enough that gas shouldn't be a problem. And, at least when I drove through in mid July, it wasn't as hot as I was expecting. And there actually is intermittent Cell coverage, which surprised the hell out of me.

I'll be doing the 6-375 stretch this year. I've done the 80 stretch as a kid and my opinion is that is only good if you are in a hurry to cross the state.

4. Default

Thanks for this info.... this really helps me out. I think option #2 is looking better and better. My concern was that it was not only lonely, but also boring. ;) I guess it's more scenic then I imagine.

Default Are a you photographer?

Quote Originally Posted by wheresgrant View Post
    I guess it's more scenic then I imagine.
    I am looking at the raised relief map that sits directly above my desk. Traveling along US-50 from east to west, you will cross and/or weave around 14 separate mountain ranges) -- it is one of my favorite places to capture the layered range effects in photographs.

Mark

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    I am looking at the raised relief map that sits directly above my desk. Traveling along US-50 from east to west, you will cross and/or weave around 14 separate mountain ranges) -- it is one of my favorite places to capture the layered range effects in photographs.

Mark

Haha!!! Funny on my Rand McNally it looks so flat. ;)

Now I'll have to launch Google Earth in topo!