1. Default Moving from Abilene to Monterey

We are going from Abilene, TX to Monterey, CA some time before June 11th. I could leave as early as the 1st and want to get the biggest bang for my buck. Right now we are looking at going to Albuquerque through Carlsbad and Roswell, then I-40 across to Barstow with possible stops at the standard Petroglyph, Petrified, Painted, and Meteor Crater then Grand Canyon. Once we hit Barstow everything will be in day trip range from our new home so I am really just looking for ideas across New Mexico and Arizona. What else is there to do besides the big five parks? It will be one adult, one teenage boy, and one 90 pound Lab. Thanks for your help.

Default Are you moving with your stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Cayred View Post
    Right now we are looking at going to Albuquerque through Carlsbad and Roswell, then I-40 across to Barstow with possible stops at the standard Petroglyph, Petrified, Painted, and Meteor Crater then Grand Canyon.
    Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum! Your planned route looks fine to me -- one question -- how much stuff will be with you? I am not sure that I would try and make a whole bunch of stops, if it looks like your vehicle is chock-full of household gear -- that is sort of an attractive target.

That being said, alternatively, you could consider going via I-10 and stop at Las Cruces (especially La Mesilla,) perhaps dip down to Tombstone and the Queen mine near Bisbee. Other places I have enjoyed on several occasions are the Saguaro NP and Kartchner Caverns and the London Bridge and then onto Barstow.

Along the I-40 route -- you could detour up to the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad

Tips for your four-legged companion are here.

Have fun!

Mark

For a list of dog parks and pet-friendly places in Albuquerque, take a look around the ABQDog website. There are at least two dog parks (that I can think of) right off of I-40, and there is another one just down the road from the Petroglyphs National Monument Visitor Center. I’ll try to post more stuff later. Gotta go!

4. Default

We won't have much more than the stuff we need for the trip - clothes, food, and hygeine. The big stuff should be there before we are. Thanks for the ideas.