we're coming from Europe to our late honeymoon trip to West/South West of the US.
We arrive at Seattle on May 12 and depart from SanFran on June 1 - what gives us 19 days.
Will rent a car and want to see as much as possible on the way.
As the schedule is tight, we think of having 1-day stops at the main "must sees".
The current plan is as follows - I'll highly appreciate any comments (have not much experience with traveling across the US):
2. Olympic NP
3. Crater Lake NP
(would love to see at least a little piece of Mt.Rainer and/or Mount Helen on the way to Crater Lake).
4. Drive to Salt Lake City
7. Canyonlands (+ a short drive through Capitol Reef)
9. Drive through Natural Bridges and Monument Valley to Lake Powell
10. Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon (in the evening drive to Grand Canyon, South Rim)
12. Grand Canyon
13. Evening/night drive to Las Vegas
14. Drive through Death Valley with short stops and Sequoia and Kings Canyon
16. Drive south to Highway 1 (through Fresno) and arrive at SanFran
17-19. San Fran.
I think 2 days should do in SanFran, what gives 1 day "reserve".
Is the plan DOABLE?
My biggest concern is the long drive from Crater Lake to Salt Lake City.
Mapquest shows it should be 10 hours - which is not a problem for me, but is it really possible to make it in 10-11 hours?
Does it make any sense to stop for 1-2 hours at Mt.Rainer?
Do you see any chance that we could visit Joshua Tree on the way from Las Vegas? I believe not :(
Oh, and I don't want to make any hotel/motel reservations (except for Grand Canyon and the first night at Seattle), as we want it to be a real road trip :) As it would be the middle May (no tourism season) do you think we would have problems finding inexpensive accommodation?
Thank you in advance for any comments.
I'm looking forward to coming back to states (have seen part of East Coast only - and loved it!).