1. Default SF -> LA (july 25-august 9)

Hello, me and a friend are going on a road trip in cali.. (two 25 year old rock and jimi hendrix fans from europe) I'm still in the early stage of planning, but I'm thinking about visiting San francisco for 2-3 days and then rent a car head to LA on the 101.. We're both on a budget so I thought it would be good for us to find motels along the way..

If you have any tips or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated

Default Usually...

Welcome aboard the RoadTrip America Forums!

...trips in this area are triangular with the third point being Las Vegas and/or the Grand Canyon. There are a number of threads discussing such trips gathered up here. Certainly, your options between San Francisco and Los Angeles are also covered there. If you can spare two days for the drive down the coast, then you should really treat yourselves to a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) with stops in Monterey and Carmel as well as the many state parks and sea lion rookeries along the way.

There will be a substantial one-way drop-off charge if you don't return the car to where you rented it in San Francisco, on the order of a few hundred dollars. A few ways to save money while on the road are discussed here.

AZBuck

3. Default

thanks! do you think it's possible to find motels every day and never make reservations along highway 1 or the 101?

Default Yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    thanks! do you think it's possible to find motels every day and never make reservations along highway 1 or the 101?
    Yes, it would be very possible on the US-101, and in the larger cities along the 1 -- but there are several stretches (like along the Big Sur part of the coast) where un-reserved lodging would be "iffy" at best. Here is our "take" on this question.

Mark

5. Default

Hey, thanks for all the info!!

I'm going to buy a roadmap of california on the internet, does anyone have any tips on the best one(s)?

thanks in advance

found info on the site-- thanks
    Last edited by Chameleon; 05-18-2007 at 01:55 PM. Reason: found info on the site

Default Our map recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by Chameleon View Post
    I'm going to buy a roadmap of california on the internet, does anyone have any tips on the best one(s)?
    Here are our personal recommendations for maps.

Mark