1. Default 10 day roadtrip LA - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco

Hi!

First off, let me thank you guys for this incredible website and your endless patience in answering questions! I have spent hours on this site and wish Iíd found it sooner, as I wouldíve taken an extra couple of days for the roadtrip I have coming up. But that canít be helped now, as Iíve already booked the plane tickets.

Iím sorry cause I know this particular roadtrip is a well-covered topic in this forum, and I can assure you Iíve been reading through most of the posts, but Iím still insecure enough to want your advice on my planning :-)

So here goes:

I will start my trip with 2 days in LA and end it with 2 days in San Francisco, and the actual roadtrip will take 10 days:

May 10th: Los Angeles to Palm Springs to Chiriaco Summit; Chiriaco Summit through Joshua Tree Park to Twentynine Palms. Overnight in Twentynine Palms.
    May 11th: Twentynine Palms to Amboy to Lake Havasu City. Overnight at Lake Havasu.
    May 12th: Lake Havasu City to Ash Fork to Grand Canyon. Overnight somewhere near Grand Canyon.
    May 13th: Grand Canyon to Page. Overnight at Page.
    May 14th: Page to Jacob Lake to St. George to Las Vegas.
    May 15th: Las Vegas.
    May 16th: Las Vegas to Death Valley to Panamint Springs. Overnight at Panamint Springs.

Up to this point itís pretty straight forward, but now come the difficult choices:

IF TIOGA PASS IS OPEN (I know itís not likely but a girl can hope):
    May 17th: Panamint Springs to Lone Pine to Lee Vining. Visit Mono Lake and possibly Bodie.
    May 18th: Lee Vining to Yosemite Village via Tioga Pass.
    May 19th: Yosemite Village to San Francisco.

IF TIOGA IS CLOSED, SOUTH OF THE SIERRA:
    May 17th: Panamint Springs to Bakersfield to Three Rivers. Visit Sequoia Tree Ntl. Park.
    May 18th: Three Rivers to Yosemite Village. Visit Yosemite Ntl. Park.

IF TIOGA IS CLOSED, NORTH OF THE SIERRA:
    May 17th: Panamint Springs to Lone Pine to Lee Vining to South Lake Tahoe.
    May 18th: South Lake Tahoe to Moccasin to Yosemite Village.

I would like your advice on this. Is this planning doable and Ė more importantly Ė enjoyable? I know Iím trying to cram a lot of places into a short time but I donít want to be overly rushed and have no time to enjoy any of the places Iím visiting. So if there are places you think Iíd better leave out of my trip, let me know.
    Also, I will check the condition of Tioga Pass before I leave from Vegas. Obviously, in the unlikely event that it would be open, I would take this option as I think itís the best one (unless Iím wrong?)
    If Tioga pass is closed though, as it probably will be, which of the other two options sound best to you? Iím under the impression going north over the Sierra would take too much time and that going around the Sierra on the southern side would be wiser. I wouldnít be able to see Mono Lake (which Iíd regret since, from the pictures Iíve seen, it looks gorgeous) but Iíd get to visit Sequoia Ntl Park (albeit in a hurry since the planning doesnít leave too much time there either).

If you guys can offer me your advice Iíll be eternally grateful!

Default Thanks for the attention to detail thus far!

Quote Originally Posted by roadtripper0430 View Post
    and your endless patience in answering questions!
    Unfortunately, it is not an endless patience, but thanks for the kudos anyway. (I am sorry I had to change your username) and welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    and I can assure you Iíve been reading through most of the posts, but Iím still insecure enough to want your advice on my planning :-)
    It is really wonderful to see someone who has read as much of the threads on this Forum as you have -- so thanks for that.
    Overnight in Twentynine Palms.
    If you can, see if you can get lodging at the Twentynine Palms Inn -- it is amazing and the charm is not obvious from the street.
    May 11th: Twentynine Palms to Amboy to Lake Havasu City. Overnight at Lake Havasu.
    Morning light on London Bridge is pretty great.
    May 16th: Las Vegas to Death Valley to Panamint Springs. Overnight at Panamint Springs.
    A fun place -- ask about the story of what that huge redwood burl bar is doing there!
    IF TIOGA PASS IS OPEN (I know itís not likely but a girl can hope):
    May 17th: Panamint Springs to Lone Pine to Lee Vining. Visit Mono Lake and possibly Bodie.
    May 18th: Lee Vining to Yosemite Village via Tioga Pass.
    It could happen this year -- and even if Tioga is still closed -- Sonora is an absolutely gorgeous route over the Sierras in Spring -- I think it has a much better chance of being open than Tioga on the 19th.
    IF TIOGA IS CLOSED, SOUTH OF THE SIERRA:
    May 17th: Panamint Springs to Bakersfield to Three Rivers. Visit Sequoia Tree Ntl. Park.
    May 18th: Three Rivers to Yosemite Village. Visit Yosemite Ntl. Park.
    This is the fastest route!
    IF TIOGA IS CLOSED, NORTH OF THE SIERRA:
    May 17th: Panamint Springs to Lone Pine to Lee Vining to South Lake Tahoe.
    May 18th: South Lake Tahoe to Moccasin to Yosemite Village.
    US-50 will certainly be open, but you are really pushing it timewise.

I think your plan is, on the whole, excellent - and the one thing I might suggest would be to leave out the US-89-ALT through the Arizona Strip -- so to have more time at the Grand and/or Las Vegas -- there is so much cool stuff to do around here.

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the fast answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Editor View Post
    (I am sorry I had to change your username)
    That's ok, I was still under the influence of the Chris Isaak concert I witnessed last week and picked the name without thinking :-)

Morning light on London Bridge is pretty great.
    Lovely pictures! Exactly the sort of stuff I'm after, as a former-student-in-photography :-)

A fun place -- ask about the story of what that huge redwood burl bar is doing there!
    I most certainly will, and I'll tell them you sent me ;-)

the one thing I might suggest would be to leave out the US-89-ALT through the Arizona Strip -- so to have more time at the Grand and/or Las Vegas --
    You're talking about the Page - Jacob Lake - St. George leg of the trip? I did look into going straight from Grand Canyon to Vegas, but it seemed like such a long drive (some 6 to 7 hours?). You're probably right though, I'll look into it, as cutting off that part might save me some time with which I could spend the rest of the trip in a more relaxed manner. Thx!