1. Default Denver to Washington, DC I-70 or I-80

Hello all!

I will be traveling from Denver (specifically Fort Collins) to Washington DC in June (on a wednesday or thursday). I have done this drive before (always on I-70) and noticed that Google Maps suggests I-80. I was wondering if there were any reason to consider this route, knowing that my biggest concern is total time driving (I will be in a rush). Also, if anyone knows the prevalence of police speed traps on I-70 vs. I-80, that info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default I would still do I-70

Quote Originally Posted by chutchin View Post
    I have done this drive before (always on I-70) and noticed that Google Maps suggests I-80.
    The reason that Google Maps seems to have chosen I-80 is it is about 50 miles shorter than the I-70 route (seems impossibile, when looking at a flat map, but it is). However, I have driven both routes several times and I still think I can drive I-70 faster than I-80.

Mark

3. Default

I agree with Editor. I've made the run from Denver to northeast New Jersey a few times. I've taken both routes and much prefer I-70. I-80 is a little faster, due in most part to the slightly higher speed limits, but once you get to the Chicago area it's wall to wall trucks until you reach Pennsylvania. A lot of the time you gain with the higher speed limits in the western sections is lost. It's not a very pleasant driving environment, especially if you're even a little timid around the big rigs.

As to law enforcement, I haven't noticed much difference between the two routes until the Pennsylvania Turnpike, which you won't be taking. There seemed to be a State Police car near just about every on-ramp.

Have fun!

Regards,
    Sarge