Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Approach The Sf/bay Area With Caution!

The highway that burned and collapsed in Oakland early Sunday, April 29th is sure to cause massive traffic tie-ups on the various approaches to the Bay Bridge. The section that fell is a critical connector between I-80 and I-580, and the different detour routes are going to be unusually clogged for a while.

Be sure to check local traffic reports (511.org is a good one, but not always the most accurate. They're a little slow to respond sometimes, but they can at least tell you about conditions as of 10-15 mins prior to when you check) before you take a day trip or complete a longer journey in San Francisco. Hopefully, CalTrans will find a workable temporary solution to the problem soon.

ldtl

Default The Maze is really messed up now!

Quote Originally Posted by laydownthelaw View Post
    The section that fell is a critical connector between I-80 and I-580, and the different detour routes are going to be unusually clogged for a while.
    The first I knew of this was your post -- This is going to be a serious challenge for CalTrans -- have you been able to see it in person? How much of the connector was damaged? Here is a CNN field report.

Mark

3. Default

I've talked to someone who has seen it. It's clearly visible from the top of the parking garage of an IKEA next to the interchange.

"Pretty amazing to see a road turned on its side and facing you"

The traffic is horrible now due to the rubbernecking. It will be even worse tomorrow once commuting starts. This is the main approach from Oakland to the Bay Bridge, and it's probably going to be down for a couple of months. Definitely plan accordingly

Default A/P Slow with the photo coverage

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    I've talked to someone who has seen it. It's clearly visible from the top of the parking garage of an IKEA next to the interchange.
    Thanks for the update -- I see that A/P now has photos on the CNN site of the extent of the failure. Yeah, it is going to be a headache for all commuters tomorrow!

Mark

Default It is!

I am so glad not because it happened, but for the time it happened. It would have caused havoc if there were people around.
    It is just crazy to see the pictures. Hwy 880 is always a bottleneck. This sure adds fuel to fire.
    I am planning for a Mendocino trip 2 weeks from now. I generally take 580, 80, 880 back home to avoid the toll. Not anymore!

cool

Default ahead of schedule

CalTrans has opened 880(with just 8 days of work) this morning 5 am. They plan to start working on 580 too & that is expected to be open by June end.

cool

Default That is very impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by cool View Post
    CalTrans has opened 880(with just 8 days of work) this morning 5 am. They plan to start working on 580 too & that is expected to be open by June end.
    Cool, thanks for the current report!

mark

Wow! Congrats are in order to the guys there, that's amazing!

Default surprise surprise

Today's morning news stated that they hope to open hwy 580 in a month from now(~ June 10th) with an allocated budget of 2 billion dollars. They plan to give it to the company that gives the shortest opening date as possible.
    With that much money, it seems that there is a lot of motivation in the line.
    880 opening sure eased out traffic quite a bit. This is a welcome news, indeed!

cool

10. Default

As a note to everyone, The 580 connector is now open as well, so it is just the normal annoying traffic to deal with in the area. The contractors seem to have done an amazing job, getting a very big bonus in the process.