1. Default Moving from Florida to Provo, UT

Hello all,

I will be moving in a couple of weeks to Provo, UT, and I want to make the best of my drive out there. I've lived in Florida my whole life, but I absolutely love the mountains, so I am very excited about moving out west.

I've already decided that I am going to take the (suggested) quick route through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, but I have a few questions after that. I've already been all through Colorado and I-70, so I think I would like to continue through the southern parts of Wyoming on I-80.

From there, however, I would like to cut south on some US Highways or State Routes off the beaten trail in to the eastern areas of Utah. Looking at a map, it looks like I can take US-191/WY-373 (eastern side of Flaming Gorge) or go a little further west to the western side of Flaming Gorge down WY-530. At that point I would continue on US-40 and eventually in to Utah Valley.

A second option would be to go even further west and take WY-150/UT-150 through Park City and eventually in to Utah Valley.

The final option would be to continue on I-80 through the western border of Wyoming, through Park City, and eventually in to Utah Valley.

I would also be open to other suggestions from people familiar with the area, because I would like to make the best of this trip. I get great mileage and can get well over 400 miles per tank, so fuel services should not be much of an issue. Unfortunately, because I am moving, I may have a few valuables in my car, so I won't be able to venture away from my car too long to do any hiking or anything. Because of that, I would like to be able to enjoy any views from my vehicle.

I think this is a great forum, and I would love to share my experience with you guys once I have made my journey. Thank you in advance for your help, and I hope I can help some others along with similar trips as I explore the West.

Default What a change in culture and geography!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators2006 View Post
    I will be moving in a couple of weeks to Provo, UT,
    that is rather an incredible change in geography and culture! Welcome to the Great American RoadTrip Forum!
    I've already been all through Colorado and I-70,
    you have seen ALL of colorado? I have logged about 20,000 miles in Colorado and not seen more than about 1/4 of it thus far.
    From there, however, I would like to cut south on some US Highways or State Routes off the beaten trail in to the eastern areas of Utah
    I truly love the scenery and back roads in Utah. You could go for a drive every weekend for the rest of your life and never run out of cool places to explore in Utah!
    Looking at a map, it looks like I can take US-191/WY-373 (eastern side of Flaming Gorge) or go a little further west to the western side of Flaming Gorge down WY-530.
    That circular route around the Flaming Gorge is pretty wonderful, but I don't know if the road is fully opened yet (snow closures).

But if you really want an awesome introduction to your new home state -- I would approach from southern Colorado and take the diagonal towards the northwest on UT-95 to Hanksville and then west on UT-24 through Capitol Reef (and if you really have some extra time -- dip south on UT-12 to Panguitch) and then north on US-89 all the way to Provo -- that would be an awesome approach!
    and I hope I can help some others along with similar trips as I explore the West.
    Looking forward to reading your posts about this trip!

Mark

3. Default

Thanks for the greet, Mark.

You are right, it is impossible for me to see all of Colorado -- what a beautiful state. As far as the I-70 corridor is concerned, however, I've been on it through the entire state. I've also been through Southern Colorado, and to the Four Corners area and Moab and Arches.

I understand that the other areas in Southern Utah are very nice as well and I intended on spending a few weekends out there once I move. However, upon a second look at the map, it appears that Wyoming is much more accessible from Provo than is Southern Utah.

I didn't think snow would still be much of an issue in May (but I'm an ignorant Floridian on that issue :P). The last thing I would want is to be driving on icy or snowy roads before I get acclimated to those conditions. Would you still recommend the Southern approach if Flaming Gorge is open?

======================================

Also, from the Southern approach, which would be the recommend path from the Great Plains? I-70 to I-25 and then through Southern Colorado?

I think you are right, and I would love to see that area again. I remember how beautiful it was traveling through Southern Colorado -- although it was a little more populated than I prefer. Is US-160 the way to go for great views? Or does it go through too many towns?

Thank you for the suggestion. I am a little confused as to which roads to take from the Plains however. Do you have any suggestions for traveling Southern Colorado before hopping on to UT-95?

Default Been to Goblin Valley yet?

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators2006 View Post
    You are right, it is impossible for me to see all of Colorado -- what a beautiful state. As far as the I-70 corridor is concerned, however, I've been on it through the entire state.
    just in case you think you have seen everthing there is to see from I-70, here are two field reports from just the San Rafael area of eastern Utah. Viewpoints on the highway and off the road!
    However, upon a second look at the map, it appears that Wyoming is much more accessible from Provo than is Southern Utah.
    Yes, but you are coming from Florida -- not much reason to use I-80 into Wyoming unless you want to go that far north on the approach!
    I didn't think snow would still be much of an issue in May (but I'm an ignorant Floridian on that issue :P).
    We had better get some more snow in May.... Yikes, that would be a very long summer....
    Also, from the Southern approach, which would be the recommend path from the Great Plains? I-70 to I-25 and then through Southern Colorado?
    The route that makes the most sense would be I-40 to US-89 and north...
    Is US-160 the way to go for great views? Or does it go through too many towns?
    US-160 is a very nice route and then you could take US-550 along the Million Dollar Highway -- very nice this time of year! That will sharpen your mountain driving skills!!!!

Mark

5. Default

Mark, thank you again for your advice. I will be living much closer to Wyoming than Southern Utah and Southern Colorado, so I think it would be smarter for me to take the southern approach instead.

Based on your advice, I have created a preliminary route. Tell me what you think:

Segment 1 (Quickest route & hightailing it):
    I-75 to I-10
    I-10 to I-49
    I-49 to I-20
    (Through Dallas via toll roads to US-287 North)
    US-287/US-385/US-64 to I-25 near Raton, NM

Segment 2:
    I-25 to CO-12 (Highway of Legends)
    (Through the mountains via Highway of Legends to US-160)
    US-160 ALL the way to former(?) US-666/US-491
    US-491 to US-191 South

Segment 3:
    US-191 to UT-95
    UT-95 to UT-24 (at Hanksville, UT)
    UT-24 to UT-12 South/West

Segment 4:
    UT-12 to US-89 North
    US-89 all the way to Provo, UT

It's a lot of driving, but it looks like it would be a very nice drive.

Would you recommend any changes to this?
    Any tips on how to avoid Dallas traffic getting to US-287?
    Would there be closures or snow conditions on CO-12 (Highway of Legends) in early May? Is CO-12 safe for a mountain novice to drive on?

Thank you again for your help.

Default suggestion for dallas traffic

I have somesuggestions for your segment through Dallas.

Your route from Louisiana through DFW on I 20 shouldn't be too bad. Stay on I 20 and pick up 287N in Arlington. You can miss most of the traffic in in the DFW area that way. Your only trouble may be on the stretch of 287 that runs with I 35 from Downtown Fort Worth until it veers off to the NW nort of town. I would suggest planning your trip so that you are not on this part of the freeway at afternoon rush hour. I 35 becomes a parking lot.

You could also take I 20 to HWY 360N. 360 merges with HW 121 but you would exit immediately to get on HWY 114 W.(be sure to get a detailed map of this interchange becuause it can be tricky.) There are some stop lights but mostly you would be driving through a still rural part of the area so traffic shouldnt be too bad. 114 merges with 287 NW of the metroplex.

A third idea is to continue on I 10 to Houston. Then take I 45 North toward Dallas. You can catch HWY 287 south of town and take it NW to Fort Worth and on up and out of town. We have taken this route on our trips from Houston to home in Fort Worth and it is a pretty easy drive. Especially if you want to avoid as much freeway as possible.

Your last option is to stay on I 20 or I 45 - whichever you choose - into downtown Dallas and follow the signs to go west on HWY 183 (this may involve going N on 35 - I'm not sure) and then go to the right when the road splits at Texas Stadium. This is 114 and you could stay on that until it merges with 287.

I would suggest avoiding all the toll roads in Dallas. The toll roads are not located in the parts of town where you need to be - not that they are bad parts of town, they are just out of the way if you want to get through the DFW area as fast and as easily as you can. Plan your route more towards Fort Worth to avoid as much traffic as possible. There are quite a few possiblilities if you are just looking at a map of the area, but the ones I have suggested are probably going to be your best bets.

Hope this helps. I can give more detailed versions of any of these routes if you are interested but confused.