Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 7 days from Las Vegas - May RV Trip

Dear RTA Forum,
    We have booked the 21´ft RV, we have the air tickets and now we need HELP!
    We want to know how to make the most of our 7 days from Las Vegas and return. Originally we were going North heading for Yosemite, but now we think we will head East and do Grand Canyon, Bryce Canyon etc. We will have already spent a week in San Diego and LA, returning to Vegas by car via Stovepipe Wells.
    Can anyone advise how to make the most of these 7 days. How far can we travel in one day so its nice, relaxed and chilled.
    We want to see Canyons and sceneary but also enjoy camp life, meet fellow RVers, sip a few beers and do some first'timer line dancing.
    Should we book 1 day per campsite or 2 - how far should we aim to travel without it being a mad rush. Should we book all our RV parks before we leave.
    Hopeing for advice from those more experienced than ourselves.
    THANK YOU.

Default Welcome!

Welcome to the RoadTrip America Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by sherky67
    Can anyone advise how to make the most of these 7 days. How far can we travel in one day so its nice, relaxed and chilled.
    Usually, we recommend no more than about 500 miles a day to still be able to arrive at your destination in a comfortable time, feeling somewhat refreshed. Depending on your experience with this type of vehicle, the mileage may vary.

If you want to meet some of your fellow campers, only one day each at a site may be a stretch. It will feel rushed, setting up and the next thing you know, you're breaking camp for the next destination.

Opinions vary on reservations for campsites, though during the peak tourist seasons it is definitely advisable. If you plan on staying in any of the National Parks themselves, you may already be too late for that. I would advise booking ahead, it will take out some of the guesswork for you and you can concentrate on the travel aspects without worrying about a place to stay.

3. Default Thank You

Dear Mass Tim,
    Thank you for the advice. Much appreciated.
    Sherky67

Default Do the line dance in LA

Quote Originally Posted by Sherky67 View Post
    We want to know how to make the most of our 7 days from Las Vegas and return.
    Finding a honky-tonk in Utah to the line dancing experience could be challenging -- they exist, of course, but not easily accessible to non-locals. I would suggest you find a good western bar in LA and try the line-dancing there.

As far as routes go, I would suggest you follow the outline of this road trip, and plan to drive no more than 350-400 miles per day and perhaps spend a couple of days in some of the campgrounds to kick back. Finding beer in Utah can sometimes be challenging too. It is not a "dry" state, but it is heavily influenced by the Mormon culture and practicing Mormons do not drink alcohol or coffee.
    Should we book 1 day per campsite or 2 - how far should we aim to travel without it being a mad rush. Should we book all our RV parks before we leave.
    It is early enough in the season, that you should not have to pre-book all of your RV campgrounds -- Be sure to print out this checklist and take it with you when you pick up your RV rental. Here is a good overview about the type of RV campgrounds you can expect to use. And here is an excellent primer about the fine art of boondocking in your RV rental.

Mark

5. Default Thank You

Invaluable advice. Thank you so much.
    We shall share our experiences/mistakes on our return . . .
    Sherky67

Default Nevertheless

It is possible to find freshly brewed beer in Utah. Perhaps this might help in the thirsty search.

AZBuck

Default Good point

AZBuck,

Thanks for picking up the slack in the reply -- I got side-tracked with other duties on the Forum and forgot to come back to this issue. That is a great list and to be clear, it is possible to purchase alcohol in Utah, it just requires slightly more effort than in states like California or Oregon....

Thanks,

Mark

RoadTrippers A & R Guest

We hit some of the RV parks in Utah, and what surprised us was: Most are run by families, & most offered beer and wine at the sign-in office.
    Finding a bar or liquor store was a time burner, and very difficult for us out-of-towners.

And yes, finding a Honky Tonk would be quite a bit of work in Utah.

Some Elks lodges in some Utah towns have line dancing, but ya have to be a member of any Elks from anyplace, and check way ahead to see what's shakin'.
    Utah has a zero tollarance DUI law BTW.

Las Vegas has Sams Town RV park, and they have a nice dancing saloon just a short walk from your campsite.
    Check for lessons.
    Last edited by RoadTrippers A & R; 04-18-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Default If you're going through St George, UT

I would recommend stopping for dinner at the Gun Barrel. They are a BBQ/Steakhouse, and they microbrew their own beer.

The food is amazing, and the desserts are great, too. My husband got the Buffalo ribs; they were huge and very meaty. I stuck with a half rack of baby back ribs, which was more than I could handle.

That might be a good place to stop at on your way back to Las Vegas, depending on your route. It is maybe 2 miles off of I15.

Default Good to know!

Quote Originally Posted by lnewman View Post
    I would recommend stopping for dinner at the Gun Barrel. They are a BBQ/Steakhouse, and they microbrew their own beer.
    I have meant to stop there, a couple of times, but I was usually in a rush to get someplace else. Good to know that you enjoyed the food!
    Map

Mark